[OH3] New Binding - Speedtest

Hi guys, I’m not very familiar with linux. I installed spedtest-cli on my raspbarry and when launching speedtest it works but the problem is in openhab. In openhab I only use the graphical interface and I don’t know how to install the ookla speed binding. I can’t find it in the bindings list. How do you install the org.openhab.binding.speedtest and OH3 Speedtest Initial?
I use Raspbian and not Openhabian. Thank you.

Hi Carlo, you need to follow the instruction for manual installation

Basically, you have to download the .jar files from github (link see above), place it in addons path, chown to openhab:openhab. You should then be able to discover the speedtest thing.

Hi Florian, thanks to your suggestion I was able to configure my Ookla speedtest. At first it didn’t work until I realized that to make it work you have to accept the license as the openhab user with the following command on the Raspberry “sudo -u openhab speedtest” and then answer “yes”. Now everything works fine.
Thank you all.

1 Like

Another question. Is it possible to turn the TestTrigger into a push button?

as a workaround you can create a rule that turns the button off after let´s say 1 sec.

You can also use the Expire function in the item. I think I have mine set to 10 seconds, so that I don’t trigger another test while the first one is still running.

that is even better and much easier! Thanks for sharing.

I have no „Test Trigger“ switch and all channels shows null…. Why?
Speedtest on cli with opnehab user works finde.

The test trigger is showing under the “show advanced” channels only…

Is your binding showing “online”? Any log entries?

Ok the test works now. I don’t now why, but it works…
But the trigger button isn’t there

See this comment from Russ - it might help to remove and re-add the speedtest thing (it worked for me)

Yes, I tested it 5 times but no improvement

just a gut feeling, but worth a try: maybe remove, clear cache, restart OH and then re-add the speedtest thing.

Yes, I can try this. Cache clear in browser or OH? I don’t now how I can clear cache in OH

I don’t recommend clearing the OH cache. That’s generally not a good idea unless you’re having serious issues, and I don’t think this qualifies.

Before doing anything else, let’s make sure you have the most recent version of the binding:

https://github.com/bigbasec/openhab-addons/releases/download/v0.5/org.openhab.binding.speedtest-3.1.0-SNAPSHOT.jar

Remove the existing thing, delete the binding that’s currently in your OH system, and then install this and discover the thing.

Nice. That was the solution! Thx. The version number on the file name was the same, but the md5 hash was different.

I still have another problem. If I start the Ookla speed test with raspberry, and then on the openhab server, the download speed is 94 mbit/s if instead I start it on a pc or smartphone the speed reaches 170 Mbit/s. And both the pc and the smartphone are connected in wifi while the raspberry is connected with the lan cable. At my house I have a 200 Mbit/s FTTC fiber optic connection. I assume this Ookla-cli speedtest has a bug.

Hi Carlo,

what kind of Raspi do you have and how is your raspberry connected to the LAN, with 100Mbps or 1000Mbps? If i would bet money, you have a Raspi 3+B or something that is only with a 100Mbps LAN connection. Then obviously the speedtest will never go above 100 in ideal world, or 94 in your case which is a kind of optimum for 100Mbps connections. If you have a Raspi that can go with 1000Mbps, check if it is connected with 1000Mbps to your switch / router.

Dear Jan, thank goodness I didn’t bet money with you, I would definitely lose. Actually I have a Raspberry 3 model B. I guess I’ll have to switch to the Raspberry 4. Thanks for the info, I hadn’t really thought about it. But if I connect my Raspberry 3 with WiFi the speedTest would the test result be the real one?

I went thru the same experience with a 3+ once my internet provider upgraded to >100 Wifi will be worse as i remember this Rasp has just a 2.4Ghz band which is max 54Mbps.
Thus, upgrade for more speed i am afraid, but i believe this comes with performance plus of openHAB which you are going to like. Win-win :slight_smile: