OpenHAB 2.0 Rules: Create list of HSBTypes

Hi,

I want to create an ArrayList of HSBTypes, s.t., I’m able to iterate through different colors on my HUE lightstrips.
I tried the following without success:

var HSB_RED = new HSBType(new DecimalType(0), new PercentType(100), new PercentType(100))
var HSB_GREEN = new HSBType(new DecimalType(120), new PercentType(100), new PercentType(100))
var HSB_BLUE = new HSBType(new DecimalType(240), new PercentType(100), new PercentType(100))
var HSB_WARM_WHITE = new HSBType(new DecimalType(30), new PercentType(20), new PercentType(100))
var List<HSBType> lightstrip_values = new LinkedList(HSB_RED, HSB_GREEN, HSB_BLUE, HSB_WARM_WHITE)

receiving the following error message:

Variable 'lightstrip_values' on rule file 'hue.rules' cannot be initialized with value 'org.eclipse.xtext.xbase.impl.XConstructorCallImplCustom@13f99ac0 (invalidFeatureIssueCode: null, validFeature: false, explicitConstructorCall: true, anonymousClassConstructorCall: false)': null

However, Xtend documentation is not quite clear for me at this point, especially on syntax for creating arrays.
Any ideas? Thank you very much!

Working with arrays is pretty much a pain in the Rules DSL. I think there is a way to initialize the list like this (there is for Maps) but I don’t know it. I do know that what you have there won’t work.

One possible workaround includes populating the List in a System started rule. You could try something like:

var List<HSBType> lightstrip_values = [HSB_RED, HSB_GREEN, HSB_BLUE, HSB_WARM_WHITE]

Thank you very much!
Wouldn’t it be possible to initialize it globally? Can I access this List/Array by using indices, e.g., lightstrip_values.get(i) or lightstrip_values[i] ?

Theoretically it is possible but I don’t know the syntax. I know it is possible for maps as I’ve seen examples. But I’ve never seen an example for a List.

Even though Xtend supports them, the Rules DSL does not support arrays. So you have to use .get(i) and not [i].

Personally, I put this sort of thing into Items and put those Items into a Group and the Group becomes my List. You have the further advantage that you can modify the values from the sitemap if desired and you get restoreOnStartup.

The group idea sounds great as well (and probably a proper openhab-way to do it). Do you have any pointer or snippet on how to work with groups?

I think I use Groups in almost all of my Design Pattern posts. Here are a couple I know for sure use Groups:

Hopefully these will provide enough examples to get you going.

1 Like

Thank you very much @rlkoshak!