openHAB 3.0 --> KNX. Don't have channels

After an evening full of aaarrgh,… I made it work!
I think,… the problem is in the IP address as openhab_knx suggested.
My code is now (where you can see that the IP addresses are in the same range = 169.254.):

IP router:

UID: knx:ip:ce56c3263f
label: KNX/IP Gateway
thingTypeUID: knx:ip
configuration:
  useNAT: false
  readRetriesLimit: 3
  ipAddress: 169.254.189.117
  localIp: 169.254.64.83
  autoReconnectPeriod: 60
  type: TUNNEL
  localSourceAddr: 1.1.0
  readingPause: 50
  portNumber: 3671
  responseTimeout: 10

Actuator

UID: knx:device:ce56c3263f:66b8094695
label: KNX Actuator
thingTypeUID: knx:device
configuration:
  pingInterval: 600
  address: 1.1.4
  readInterval: 0
  fetch: false
bridgeUID: knx:ip:ce56c3263f
channels:
  - id: Woonkamer
    channelTypeUID: knx:switch
    label: woonkamer
    description: ""
    configuration:
      ga: 1/0/0

But, after a night of sleep… It just doesn’t work anymore… Actuator is offline again, router is online…
I didn’t do anything, didn’t even shut down my pc…

I’m now pretty sure it’s a network issue and will start to buy a router and switch to fix that…

I’ve seen similar behaviour in my system. For me to get things working I’ve had to set the gateway to “router” and did not set the address of the actuator things. I don’t think it matters because unless you are trying to fetch the channel setup from the device, the local address of your KNX equipment is not used in the communication.

I’m actually rethinking my OH setup such that follows the ontology more. E.g. defining the channels into different things, with each thing corresponding to an “equipment”. Not quite sure how to do it yet. Any input is appreciated.

(the default knx router IP is 224.0.23.12, as documented here, that why it looks to be in a different subnet)

It seems to work for me now. Online.
Mixed up physical and group addresses, and removed device adress from Gateway/Bridge

But, should channels appear automatic, or be created manually?

169.254.x.x addresses mean your device hasn’t been allocated an IP address. You need to set the IP address of your IP/KNX interface in ETS or ensure you have DHCP on your network.

DHCP is preferred so long as you statically assign the IP address to your gateway ensuring it doesn’t change.

1 Like

Channels are created manually.

2 Likes

I am continually wrestling with this. To start I had everything with a single thing. Then, I moved to a thing for every KNX device.

Both work, but now I am considering whether everything should follow a function orientation approach as I have been experimenting with functions in ETS…!

Bought myself a good router, switch and access point… and everything was fixed in 15 minutes… thanks all!!!

1 Like

I have an other Problem.

I create my MDT KNX-Gateway and it is Online.
I create a KNX Device and it is online, too.

But when i create channels in the KNX:Device they are not saved.

At first after create channel, i can see the new channel.

When I click again to Things the Channel isn’t there anymore

Now, the Channels are empty again

Hi,
I had (have) a similar Problem and it was (almost) working in OH 2.5.
In OH3.0 I lose my KNX-Gateway all the time (offline / online) and the KNX device is allways offline. Now I can switch off the light but not on anymore ;-(

I am wondering about your “localSourceAddr: 15.15.249” - seems to be still the default.
If I know it right the adress should match to your topologie (Busline). In your case something with 4.0.xxx.
Why is in ga the seperator a “.” and not “/”?

See also: (in german)

For me it worked when I left all fields default except Network address (IP) that I set to my knx network unit.

For the devices I get trouble when using Fetch.
So for devices I just set Label name, and choose the bridge. No adress.

Under the device I can create my channel with its group adress.

For a router configuration you do not need to specify much. Routers use IP multicast communication and for knx these addresses are all default presets and need not be given in the configuration. So for a router it is sufficient to have such a config:

UID: knx:ip:01e52303
label: KNX/IP Gateway
thingTypeUID: knx:ip
configuration:
  useNAT: false
  readRetriesLimit: 3
  autoReconnectPeriod: 60
  type: ROUTER
  localSourceAddr: 0.0.0
  readingPause: 50
  portNumber: 3671
  responseTimeout: 10

For an actor you need the physical knx bus address and for the channels the group addresses. Just like with the textual configuration in previous versions of openHAB.

Here is the configuration for one of my dimmer actors showing one channel:

UID: knx:device:01e52303:7aacfe8a
label: Dimmaktor D1.4
thingTypeUID: knx:device
configuration:
  pingInterval: 600
  address: 1.0.9
  readInterval: 0
  fetch: false
bridgeUID: knx:ip:01e52303
channels:
  - id: A
    channelTypeUID: knx:dimmer
    label: Wandleuchte
    description: null
    configuration:
      increaseDecrease: 9/1/11
      position: 9/1/12+<9/1/14
      switch: 9/1/10+<9/1/13

Hope this helps and you can have fun again with openHAB and knx :slight_smile:

I cant seem to get it working properly. It works on and off, sometimes with a lag, sometimes not at all. Polling knx-status is also sketchy for my dimmers.
I am using the same setup as with OH2. Also I get the feeling OH3 affects the actors as some lost connection to Ets and I had to make the Knx-bus powerless for a reset.

In channel setup, what difference does the actor address do?
When adding half of my actors show offline.

The difference is described in the official documentation of the KNX binding under the Things section:

KNX Binding - Things

If the physical address is given, the KNX bridge tries to ping/read the actor via physical address. Also there is described, that either all or no device should be reachable (online) because KNX is a bus. If you reach the bus, you will reach the devices.

Yes ok, thanx. I read it several times but dont seem to get it :slight_smile:
I think the items gets updated booth good and bad either way I try. And some actors online, others offline. Maybe Im not consequent enough thru my testing although Im trying to be.

If this is the case, then I guess it is a network problem. As described in the KNX binding docs, either all physical addressed actors/sensors are reachable or none of them.

Can you give some more details of your network setup including router, IP assignment and IP gateway?

After more test it seem to be my knx weather station that disturb my knx bus. Very strange errors increased since Christmas and my work with OH3. OH2 have been very stable before that. But when ETS5 couldn’t reach or update some actors I first thought it was because OH. But I guess just my weather sensor lived on the edge. It sends values but also error messages that disturb to much. This is my research right now :slight_smile: . Thanx for support.

Hi @djoope , I have the same problem as you. Once I removed the individual address from thing, the device came online. Can you make screenshots on how you did the setup of channel and points? Here is my KNX Thing (actuator), I use it to control all some of the lights (On/Off) and dimming functions. I find the documentation not really clear so I am stuck at this step. I wanted to try editing the config files, I can’t get to create a token. Another error, that I don’t get. My setup is on RPI4
Thanks

Hi @franks
I simply cannot get it work, but I am also fairly new to KNX & ETS, so that might be the problem. I have one single actuator (on/off) in ETS which is controlled by a touchpanel, and it is working fine. I have only one Group Address, where I simply link the touch panel and the actuator.
In openhab I can get a bridge and device online, but no communication to or from the bus via item in OH.
Question:
You have mentioned 2 Group Addresses on the switch, and I can also see that in the examples. What is the functionality of these 2? (I have only 1)
If I change status of an item in OH, should I then be able to see a telegram in ETS Diagnostics? (Currently I do not see these - I only see a telegram when using the physical touchpanel for a state change)
Thanks.

EDIT: It is working. I found out that my IP Gateway had a filter, which blocked telegrams. After changing this setting, everything works as intended.

1 Like