I created a binding for the Philips TV 2016 and later Series (Jointspace v6+), which use the Android TV OS. Therefore I am reaching out to you, seeking for tester. Please give me feedback and also write down your TV model.
I’ve tested all the functionality by myself with the 55PUS7101/12 model.
Below you find all the information needed for getting started, enjoy!
17.01.19: Initial Version
22.01.19: Adjusted autodiscovery for 2017&2018 TV models
- Reworked the binding to the new openhab binding model and improved connection handling
- Added Ambilight features (setting style, setting all colors/brightness/saturation, specific side color)
- Added TV Picture Settings Brightness, Contrast, Sharpness
01.10.19: Replaced release link with new version, which has now required thirdparty libs bundled due to reported problems with resolvement.
10.11.19: Added Ambilight Lounge Mode Feature as a Switch
08.12.19: Refactored Code, fixed decimal Volume bug, added Configuration option to disable UPnP discovery and use constant HTTPS polling instead if desired, added standby as valid ONLINE thing status → Recreation of thing is needed
18.12.19: Added WOL support for turning on the TV + automatic retrieval of MAC if WOL is enabled in the tv settings, improved Standby logic
28.12.19: Minor adjustments to retry logic for requests (don’t retry if tv is off or does not accept commands) + added WOL support for turning ON the Amiblight Lounge Mode
24.12.20: Migration to openHAB 3 (thanks to @marcel_verpaalen for doing the migration job!)
09.01.21: Fix for updating current tv channel name
01.04.21: Enhanced determination of tv power state, technical improvements (lib folder removed, jackson version updated, technical lock to avoid refreshing tv if there is already a refresh running)
- Initial Pairing Process
- Automatically discovers if TV is turned on/off or in standby
- Turn On/Off TV (On does only work with WOL, read Side notes below)
- Set and Read Volume/Mute
- Set TV Picture Settings Brightness / Contrast / Sharpness
- Send Button commands (emulate Keys from infrared Remote Controller)
- Turn On/Off Ambilight
- Turn On/Off Ambilight + Hue
- Set all Ambilight Colors, Brightness or Saturation
- Set the color for a specific Ambilight Side (Left/Right/Top/Bottom)
- Toggle Google Assistant on TV for a given Input (e.g. “HDMI1” switches to HDMI1 or search for content)
- Start an Application (Netflix and so on)
- Show current App running plus Icon (ItemType: Image)
- Start a TV Channel
- Turn on Ambilight Lounge Mode (Wake-On-LAN functionality is integrated, see Side Notes below for WOL)
- Automatic refresh of current running App name, icon and the Volume (default 10 secs, configurable at the Thing)
- Switch for deciding if UPnP discovery (default & recommended) or constant HTTPS polling should be used
- Turning ON Wake-On-LAN needs to be enabled in the TV settings. If done, the MAC can be retrieved by the binding. It can also be added manually in the configs. It will be used automatically when turning on the power channel if the MAC is given.
- Source can be set but not read. Switching source / input channel can be done via the “search content”-Channel as it uses Google Assistant. For example “HDMI 1” will switch the source/input.
- TV Channels cannot be read, only set. This was also removed, compared to earlier jointspace versions.
- Channels for KeyCode, AppName and TvChannel have as soon as the TV is initializied a List of available commands.
- Only Android TV based Philips TVs are supported right now.
- Sometimes, pretty rare, the TV does not accept commands (unknown reason). If this appears, the binding tries it automatically again.
- Ambilight Styles and available Algorithms have as soon as the TV is initializied a list of available styles+algorithms.
- Setting a specific Ambilight Side will turn on a special “Ambilight Mode”, where the once previously manually set colors are shown
- Turning Ambilight Lounge Mode on if the tv is powered off requires wake-on-lan beforehand
- Turning Ambilight Lounge Mode on/off changes randomly the colour to a preset from philips
Standby is defined as “TV is off, but network card is still awake”, summarized logic:
* Thing state OFFLINE: TV is off and network card is in deep sleep mode and therefore not reachable * Thing state ONLINE with Message “Standby”: TV is off and network card is awake and receives commands * Thing state ONLINE with any other message then “Standby”: TV is on and network card is awake Difference of UPNP Discovery and HTTPS constant polling regarding Standby recognition: * If TV is turned ON, the TV broadcasts UPNP devices and is therefore recognized as ONLINE or ONLINE STANDBY (= tv screen, network card awake) at this point of time. If the TV turns off, the network card is watched until it turns off. * HTTPS constant polling monitors the network card the whole day through sending commands and therefore monitors the network card nonstop
Tested TV Models:
- 55PUS7101/12 (WORKS)
- 43PUS6412/12 (WORKS)
- 65PUS8102/12 (WORKS)
- 49PUS8503/12 (WORKS)
- 50PUS7373/12 (WORKS)
Important: The TV must be configured to always use the same IP via the network setting. See How do I manually configure the wireless settings on my Philips TV? | Philips for help.
Place the jar matching your openHAB version in your addons folder and follow the instructions below:
Release from 18.12.19 (deprecated openHAB 2.x version)
Release from 01.04.21 openHAB 3
Follow the following instructions and look at the full example items (open the Link for better view!):
…and give me feedback
Thanks go out to the creator and contributors of the SamsungTV Binding. Their code helped me a lot building a binding for a TV!