Quick Update on Progress

I’m using a raspberry PI 3 B+ and apart from a silly issue creating the file system on the sd-card which was my fault I have made some progress.

I’m not going to criticise the documentation as I run my own open source project and I know how difficult it can be to keep developing and documenting at the same time.

So I’ve got my OpenHab running.
I’ve connected it to Open Hab Cloud
It’s found and setup my Philips Hue Hub and Bulbs
It’s found and setup my TP-Link HS100 power sockets
I even setup a Plex Binding.

So at this stage I have the bindings and things configured. I still need to understand how to link Google Home/Assistant and jumping ahead I would like to figure out how to build my site so I can create a screen to at least turn one of my lights on and off.

So - more reading and maybe a youtube video.

I’m in the UK in Peterborough - just in case anyone else is in the area.

Dave

1 Like

For Google Assistant see Official Google Assistant Integration for openHAB in addition to the official docs. The big thing is you will need Items and need to add one of the supported tags to those Items.

For UI, depending on what you are after look at:

Good luck and thanks for posting! Let us know when you run into any problems. We like to help where we can.

I’ve just started a new post. After watching a youtube video it seems that after adding bindings and things I should see something in the Control section of Paper UI - but it’s empty. Also I would like to remove the plex binding which I don’t really want or need. Can’t see any way to do this from the GUI.

If you don’t have Simple mode enabled, you need to create Items and link them to the Channels of your Things. They won’t show up in the Control Tab of PaperUI until there is an Item linked to them.

Note that the Control tab is really intended just for testing. You will want to built your Home Automation User’s Interface using a Sitemap or Habpanel.

Go to Add-ons and select the “Bindings” tab. Scroll down to or search for the binding and click “Uninstall”.