[SOLVED] Shelly1 wiring with 2-way switching (hotel switch)

Hi,

I couldn’t really find a good schema how to wire a 2-way switch to a shelly1.
Who can help me out?

This is a real easy overview how to wire a single switch:

This is my lamp on the 1st floor:

This is my switch on the ground floor:

And this is the switch on the 1st floor where the Shelly should come:

I’m living in the Netherlands so this are the wires:
Blue = Neutral
Brown = Phases
Green/Yellow = Ground
Black = Lamp/Switch

Hello,

Be very careful with 110/220V AC. IT CAN KILL YOU.
mains voltage should be done by a professional electrician.

Now that the disclaimer is out of the way:
here you go:

Don‘t forget to set the switch mode to „Edge“, see here

1 Like

Thanks, will look into it tomorrow when there is daylight in the house.
But for what wondering already, if I take the blue wire from the first floor, it is now connected from there to my lamp, so if I put it in the Shelly, should I use a welding clamp to connect it to the shelly as well to the lamp?

Thanks for the tip, will do that :wink:

I don’t know if the pictures were clear enough but the is the drawing of the switching method, is the earlier drawing still correct then?

Yes it is

Well, apparently the room behind the switch on the first floor isn’t enough to fit a Shelly behind.
So I decided to install the shelly above the lamp, the welding box is also above the lamp self.

I followed this schema what was designed for a hotel swtich:

This is my setup how the switching is working, the lines behind the switches only go through the mount box were the switch is installed in:

This is how I installed it now:

I thought I understand how it worked and that this was the right way but the light wont power on, even though the switch is on, it is flashed with tasmota and connected to my router.
The sehlly is powered on so I can reach his IP address, when I toggle it in the web page, the light also wont turn on.
I also discovered when the light switch is off on the ground floor, you can’t toggle it on the first floor, but if it is set to on, then you can toggle it…

I’m really cracking my head on it, but can’t figure out what to do, who can help me out?

I tried this wiring but it didn’t turn on the light, it is powered on becasue it is connected to the wifi but whatever I switch, it wont light up…

Any idea what goes wrong, if someone knows the solutions to install it in the ceiling box, that’s also fine :wink:

Looks to me that you have wired it correctly in both cases.
Maybe tasmota isn’t right? But with that I can’t help.

You were right, the wiring in both cases were correct, I feel a little stupid but the problem was in the tasmota software…

In the configuration you can change what kind of device it is, when I choose Shelly1 it worked instantly :wink:

Thanks for the help, all above schema’s can be used by other as example.

Hello,

I’m new to all of this topics and I’m not electrician so it is not trivial to me “basic” things.

I wonder if is possible to control TWO - 2-way switches with ONE shelly2 device. Is that possible? Could someone draw the scheme?

Thanks a lot.

Sorry for the (really) late respons, but yea it is possible, did you already managed to get it working?

1 Like

Please tell me, as I am also wondering. :slight_smile: @Stehof

The above schema’s are all correct, the only problem I had was that I flashed the Shelly1 with the Tasmota firmware. After that I directly installed the Shelly behind the switch, so I forgot to change a setting in the firmware to tell that I installed the firmware on a Shelly1 (there is an option in the menu for that).

Eventually I installed the Shelly 1 behind the lamp where both switches are connected to, that seems to be the best way in my opinion :wink: And this is how:

1 Like

Hello, in the ceiling I only have the switched live wire (black), not an unswitched live wire.

In your first picture, you only have 3 wires coming out of the ceiling:
T (aarding, yellow), N (neutral, blue) and L (Live, black)
But in the picture of the final setup, you also have brown wires. These were not in the first picture, coming out of the ceiling.
Were they hidden? Did you create an extra (unswitched) live wire?
For the moment I have connected the Shelly to the switched live wire, but this means when the physical switch is flipped to the off-position, the Shelly gets no power and can not be operated.

Yea it was hidden, so I didn’t had to get an extra live (brown) wire.

But I would definitely do that when I didn’t had one because I always want to be able to use the normal switch to control the lights without turning my shelly device off(line).

Another work around could be buying a digital switch with MQTT support that will control the shelly.

can I assume it will work also with Shelly 1pm?

Is this the right wiring?

If you google shelly 1pm wiring and look at the pictures you see that it’s basically the same. The order is slightly different but you should be able to figure that out :wink:

Hoping someone can help me here - joined just to post!

I’m trying to wire my Shelly 1 into a similar setup, but my wiring is confusing me…

It started all in the socket, but a LOT of wires, and I’ve tidied it up a little to better show what’s going on

I have managed to wire in my Shelly so that it gets permanent power (connected into the bottom right where the Wago is always has power) - this operates as expected via the app

And if I connect the SW to the top port then it will control the lights, but the switches wont control it - it leaves the local switch completely dead and the distant switch with independent control

I’m sure I’m misunderstanding some of the diagrams above so hoping someone here might be able to help?!