[SOLVED] Z-Wave unreliable in 2.5.0.M4

I recall a PR for the binding that worked around the display issue in HABmin.

Edit: Here it is.

3 Likes

Iā€™ve checked all XML files again. It seems to be mixture of old and new binding.

I have 5 identical ā€œSmoke Sensorsā€ (same firmware/type) (=node3, 4, 5, 6, 7) and 3 identical ā€œMotion Sensorsā€ (same firmware/type) (=node 8, 9, 10).

But there are a lot of differences between the XML files. While node3, 4, 5, 7 have almost the same entries, in node6 the following is missing:

<associationGroups class="concurrent-hash-map">
    <entry>
      <int>1</int>
      <associationGroup>
        <index>1</index>
        <maxNodes>0</maxNodes>
 !!       <name>Lifeline</name>
 !!       <profile1>0x0</profile1>
 !!       <profile2>0x1</profile2>
 !!       <commands>
 !!         <commandClass>COMMAND_CLASS_DEVICE_RESET_LOCALLY</commandClass>
 !!         <commandClass>COMMAND_CLASS_BATTERY</commandClass>
 !!         <commandClass>COMMAND_CLASS_ALARM</commandClass>
 !!         <commandClass>COMMAND_CLASS_SWITCH_BINARY</commandClass>
 !!         <commandClass>COMMAND_CLASS_SENSOR_BINARY</commandClass>
 !!       </commands>
 $       <associations>
 $         <associationMember>
 $           <node>1</node>
 $         </associationMember>
        </associations>
      </associationGroup>
    </entry>
    <entry>
      <int>2</int>
      <associationGroup>
        <index>2</index>
        <maxNodes>0</maxNodes>
 !!       <name>Smoke alarm action</name>
 !!       <profile1>0x71</profile1>
 !!       <profile2>0x1</profile2>
 !!       <commands>
 !!         <commandClass>COMMAND_CLASS_ALARM</commandClass>
 !!       </commands>
        <associations/>
      </associationGroup>
    </entry>
    <entry>
      <int>3</int>
      <associationGroup>
        <index>3</index>
        <maxNodes>0</maxNodes>
!!        <name>Smoke basic action</name>
!!        <profile1>0x71</profile1>
!!        <profile2>0x1</profile2>
!!        <commands>
!!          <commandClass>COMMAND_CLASS_BASIC</commandClass>
!!        </commands>
        <associations/>
      </associationGroup>
    </entry>
  </associationGroups>

<entry>
    <commandClass>COMMAND_CLASS_ASSOCIATION_GRP_INFO</commandClass>
    <COMMAND__CLASS__ASSOCIATION__GRP__INFO>
         <version>1</version>
         <instances>1</instances>
         <control>false</control>
         <versionSupported>1</versionSupported>
 !!        <autoSubscribeGroups>
 !!            <int>1</int>
 !!            <int>2</int>
         </autoSubscribeGroups>
     </COMMAND__CLASS__ASSOCIATION__GRP__INFO>
</entry>

<entry>
    </entry>
 Ā§    <commandClass>COMMAND_CLASS_SECURITY</commandClass>
 Ā§    <COMMAND__CLASS__SECURITY>
 Ā§       <version>1</version>
 Ā§       <instances>1</instances>
 Ā§       <control>false</control>
 Ā§       <versionSupported>1</versionSupported>
 Ā§    </COMMAND__CLASS__SECURITY>
 Ā§   </entry>
 Ā§ <entry>

You can see the missing entries (node6) by the two exclamation marks ā†’ !!

And it was missing the ā€œlifeline nodeā€ in node4 and 5: see ā†’ $

And in node3 was missing ā€œCOMMAND_CLASS_SECURITYā€: see ā†’ Ā§
Following is missing in node8 and node10:

<entry>
  <multilevelSensorType>DEW_POINT</multilevelSensorType>
  <multilevelSensor>
     <sensorType>DEW_POINT</sensorType>
     <initialised>false</initialised>
  </multilevelSensor>
</entry>

node9 contains above entry . DEW_POINT ?? How comes??

I then have done a ā€œReinitialise Deviceā€. Now the entries are all the same for each ā€œdevice groupā€.

Wonder why the entries were different. Have deleted the things many times with PaperUI or have reinitialised the nodes (many times).

Next step will be: testing ā€œdaily healā€ again with ā€œzwave binding 1731ā€, but now with correct initialised nodesā€¦

To be continued.

After reinitialising all devices again, network heal is still not running for node8, 9, 10. They are again marked as offline. See above. Or here.

Itā€™s not urgent, but hopefully it will be solved in near future. Issues reported on github are still open:

Hello @chris, I want to inquire politely, when there will be any progress? Thanks a lot.

Sorry - Iā€™ve not had time to look at this due to other commitments with ZigBee. This should start to drop over over the next few weeks and I will try and look at this issue then.

1 Like

Hi,
I tried to upgrade to 2.5 und ran into the exact same problems.
What du you mean bei ā€œremoving the nodesā€?
Removing and rediscovering them in PaperUI or exclude and re-include them on the stick?

If the second way is the solution? I have one or two included devices that no longer exist. How du I exlude those on my Aeon Stick?

Thanks in advance
Sven

I had a node that was completely unresponsive. I had to reset the device and add it as a new node. Then, I removed the bad node through openHAB.

At this point, I have the daily heal disabled and itā€™s been running pretty stable for a while now.

For the communication to battery driven devices, I do have two genral questions, maybe somebody can help me with this!

I do also use the AEON Z Wave Stick Gen 5. The stick is working fine with all my ā€œwiredā€ devices but I always had problems with battery driven devices.

This means the Heimann Smoke detector (3x HS1SA-Z) and Neo Coolcam Door window sensor (2x NEOEDS01Z)

In case of Alarm (Test button) OH is receiving the alarm from all of my sensors but the battery information is most of the time missing!

1. It looks like I do have three differnet options to include the devices,
  • Offline via the battery powered Z Wave Stick pressing the button on the stick

• Online with the software ā€œZ-Wave PC controller 5ā€

• Online with the ā€œSearch for new devicesā€ in PaperUI or HABMIN

=> Should OH work with all of this three solutions or do I have to use only OPENHAB?

I am asking this because in the Z-Wave PC Software, the node information looks differnet for all three methods and I am wondering, whether OPENHAB should be able to identfy the device in all three cases. (even on similar devices, I do get sometimes more or less parameters and so onā€¦) In case I do the inclusion via the z wave software, OPENHAB is not able to identfy the device afterwards via ā€œsearch for new devicesā€. In case I do use Openhab for inclusion, I have very limited information in ā€œZ-Wave PC controller 5ā€

1. In Case I try to update from OH 2.4 => 2.5 my ā€œidenditiedā€ battery driven devices, are unknown in OH 2.5 again.

=> is this in general the case or is it a problem, that my battery driven devices may have never been inlcuded properly so far?

I hope anybody of you can help me with my questions!

Inclusion will work all three ways, but you still have to create the proper zwave things config
so PaperUI or habmin are recommended as they take care of that for you.

Huh ? Upgrading shouldnā€™t modify the OH things and the device database in a newer OH is a superset of that in older OH versions so they should remain ā€œidentifiedā€ unless you choose to delete those things.

Dear Markus,

I am using paper UI for the things configuration, but if I have added the nodes before via Z-wave
software or via push button on the stick, then the z-Wave binding search is only delivering ā€œunknown deviceā€ instead of the correct Heimann sensor.

The update I tried to do via complete new installation in a different folder, not to loose my old data, and then just adding z wave binding and search for the nodes, but also in this case the already identified sensors in OH 2.4 were found as unknown devices In OH 2.5 meaning somehow the same like above if I do not include the devices in OH directly but use external inclusion, in this case OH 2.4

While running latest OH (2.5) ?
Then it will not have worked to do that with 2.4 and get the sensor properly identified.
Check if the sensor is in the zwave database and if not add it.

Not a good idea.
Use openhab-cli backup/restore to save/restore your config.

The Heimann smoke sensors are tricky! Once you start the inclusion you constantly have to press the button on the device like every second to keep the sensor awake.

If that fails exclude again and start over. I already had my own ā€œfunā€ with these devicesā€¦

How did you identify the faulty node? How was it faulty? Iā€™m running into this issue every night, and my network hasnā€™t completely healed in several days.

Well just as with any battery sensors, you eventually have to wake them up a couple of times to complete initialization, but my Heiman now is recognized just fine.

Iā€™ve updated to the 2.5.1 snapshot linked in another thread and heal is still destroying my network causing me to have to restart my openHABIAN pi to bring all the nodes back online. You can see that my network needs to update the neighbors because the last 20 or so devices Iā€™ve added havenā€™t correctly mapped their network. Heal doesnā€™t seem to be working on individual nodes, either.

May I ask how? I have the same problem.

Solved: Got it removed after several attempts and this:

Firstly that map does not necessarily reflect your networkā€™s routing. It is a list of neighbours reported during a neighbour update. I ignore it as it looks nice but is not massively useful. Zwave routing is a bit more complex.

If your network is bad you can try thisā€¦

If you have a windows machine or run openHab on a windows machine. Download PC programme from silicon labs.

Take the usb stick and put it in your windows machine with the machine in exactly the same place as you normally have your openhab machine.

Open settings

select the port and save

you can now manage your network outside of openHab

First backup NVM

Now go to image

Now if you select Rediscovery your network will do a heal. When it is finished run a network health check. If good close down the program or look around and see what else you can do. If not this tool is good for sorting it out. Ping back if you have issues.

Take the usb out when you have finished and put it back in openHab machine and restart openHab. That little map thing will still be as useful as a chocolate teapot but if your nodes are all in range of each other and everything is working donā€™t worry. You can always look at the topology in PC programme.

Which is loaded from the nvm.

Enjoy

Robert

3 Likes

Iā€™ve used this software before but I canā€™t find where I downloaded it to and I canā€™t seem to download it from Silicon Labs. Can anyone suggest where I can download it? Google isnā€™t helping at momentā€¦

Problem solved! I had to agree to the SIlicon Labs terms and conditions first by downloading their SDK, this then gave my account the necessary privileges to download the PC Controller software.

Obviousā€¦ /s

Pleased you fixed it.

Remember that unless you have issues with heal in openHab it is a lot of hassle so I am not saying not to use heal in openHab. This is suggested as a workaround if it is not working.

It stopped working for me at around 120 physical devices but many things on a zwave network become interesting at that number of nodes.

I speculate it was at that point that the underlying traffic on the network from reports from devices clashed with the rate of the discover neighbours sent by openHab.

OR

Possibly also time it takes to rediscover neighbours goes up as the count of nodes goes up and it started to exceed the time openHab is set to consider too long.

Certainly started to see timeouts.

Anyway hope it works for you.