Switch with 2 SendCommand actions

Hi,

I want to create a switch that sends 2 sendCommand actions (1 for the ON and another for the OFF)

I have this working as follows currently:
.items

Switch test_on_off_dimmer

.rules

rule "Buttons on" when Item test_on_off_dimmer received update ON then {sendCommand(VB3_1A, ON)} end
rule "Buttons off" when Item test_on_off_dimmer received update OFF then {sendCommand(VB3_1B, ON)} end

However this takes 2 rules for every switch I want to create like that. So my question:

Is there a smarter way to code the above? Can I immediately integrate the SendCommend actions in the switch definition code?

I love the flexibility of OH but still have to learn a lot about clean and efficient coding :slight_smile:

First, you will need only one rule. I would prefer to trigger on received command, because received update will trigger even if only a postUpdate() was sent (and postUpdate should not switch any lights):

rule "Button test_on_off_dimmer " 
when 
    Item test_on_off_dimmer received command
then 
    if (receivedCommand == ON) {
        sendCommand(VB3_1A, ON)
    } 
    else {
        sendCommand(VB3_1B, ON)
    } 
end

Further, if changing the item names, you could use a more general rule to switch many items individually. Put all items in a group and select the right ones from the name of the trigger item to send the command. I think there was a design pattern for that, but I didn’t find it yet.

Thanks, very valid point about the receive update vs receive commend especially because I want to link status separately to status of a light being on or off without triggering a command at that point, so the receive update would possibly create loops and strange things later on. Thanks.

Yes I thought about 1 rule with IF statement as well. I’m not sure what is more resource efficient 1 rule trigger + if statement or 2 rule triggers but code wise it doesn’t make a huge difference.
I was hoping there was a way to do it without any rules (in the item definition).

It is covered in this one:

Somewhat touched upon in this one:

Never ever worry about making rules resource efficient until you after you know you have a performance problem. It will result in unnecessarily complex and hard to maintain code and a lot of unneeded effort on your part to code it. It is, IMHO, a complete waste of time.

(NOTE: I’m only talking about the context of Home Automation rules in openHAB. This general rule does not necessarily apply to all programming.)

I don’t know if I understand what you are trying to do because your example isn’t sending two commands at all. It is just sending the one command to VB3_1A. In which case, why not just use VB3_1A in the first place? I don’t see what value test_on_off actually provides.

However, if your example is contrived to the point that it doesn’t illustrate what you are really trying to do, then @Udo_Hartmann is on the right track with Groups. But you can use the Group directly:

For example, assuming all the Items to be commanded are of the same type (let’s use Switch since it is what your example uses) you can define the Group as:

Group:Switch:OR(ON,OFF) test_on_off_dimmer

If you put test_on_off_dimmer on your sitemap as a Switch or sendCommand to it from a Rule, all the members of that Group will receive the command. The state of the Group as I defined it above will be ON if one or more members of the Group are ON and OFF otherwise.

No it sends to VB3_1A in case of ON and to VB3_1B in case of OFF so its to 2 different switches

I’m not sure the group will be useful here because I have a lot of these 1 to 2 switches but always different ones. But I will definitely look into it in detail because I think there might be other use cases, so I do absolutely appreciate the help and info. Thanks a lot.

What are VB3_1A and VB3_1B bound/linked to?

They are switch items linked to the Nikobus binding (acting as buttons)
This is how they are set up
Switch VB3_1A {nikobus="#N8103CF[0A0E-1]"}
Switch VB3_1B {nikobus="#NC103CF[0A0E-1]"}
(and I had to configure them anyhow for feedback purposes of the Dimmer function, so they are set up anyhow)

They are actually part of the control of a dimmer in Nikobus. The A button turns the dimmer off, the B button turns it on (to the same state as it had last time and the actual remaining part is configured as a dimmer
Dimmer NB_D2_O1_buttonsbed “Buttons bed” (gLichtBoven) [“Lighting”,“LichtBoven”] {nikobus=“0A0E:1”}

What I like is the on and off functionality, especially the on putting the dimmer to the last state (I could link a new switch directly to the Dimmer NB_D2_O1 but that would put the dimmer at 100% when switched on)

What I’m actually trying to do is save real estate in Habpanel
I want to combine the on/off with the slider functionality. The most straightforward way is with 2 buttons (one button linked to the VB3_A and the other to the VB3_B)and a slider in habpanel. This gives me the below

But much nicer visually is creating a toggle switch that when pressed when the light is on send the off command as sendcommand to the VB3_A one and otherwise to the VB3_B

So that’s the full context of what I’m trying to do. As I have this pretty much for every dimmed light I was looking for the most cleanest and efficient way to do it :slight_smile:

OK, if you were using HTTP, MQTT, Exec, or any number of other similar bindings you could make this work without rules. With the Nikobus binding you have to use Rules.

Thanks a lot. It’s great to learn best practices from experts on this community.