The "new" Milight IBox and milight binding

If you have a very recent oh installation not older than 7 days, than u will get this add-on version as well.

Regarding the second question, please read the readme again :smiley:

Cheers David

I installed OpenHAB like 3h ago so yes :slight_smile:

I just made an update from OH2.
Alive interval can not be set below 5 seconds.
So I still have an old version?

The online / offline error occur every few seconds for my 3 bridges.

Oh I forgot to lower the limit. Sorry for that. Actually your case needs more investigation anyway, i will make a jar file with more debug output to find out what’s not working in your setup later this week.

Thanks, David

ok, waiting. :slight_smile:

I’ve finally had a chance to try out this binding. I have about 50x dual white downlights and about 15x RGB WW CW downlights. Every individual light is connected to a separate channel on an ibox2 (so, a total of 15 ibox2 devices).

Using a fresh snapshot install of OH2 and the PaperUI, the ibox2 devices are all found correctly. If I add the first bridge, the inbox shows a Thing for all four channels rgbw, all four channels rgbww, individual channels (1-4) for rgbw and rgbww, and the iBox Colour (not physically present in the ibox2); for a total of 11 Things per ibox.

Using the rgbww Things, I can control the RGB WW CW lights perfectly.

Which Thing should I be using to control the dual white lights? I can not seem to get the dual white lights to do anything, no matter which channel I try.

I know it is possible for the iBox2 to control them, as the MiLight Android app is working OK.

Looking at the readme, it seems to say that 2016 dual white work with the iBox1 & 2, and the non-2016 dual white work with the Milight Bridge. I’m not certain which version of the dual white lights I have, but if using the Milight app, I need to use the ‘warmer, cooler, brighter, darker’ remote, rather than the one that allows selection of specific brightness and colour temperatures.

That is interesting. Apparently the iBox2 can control older milights as well. Your white bulbs use the older protocol. A fast solution would be to buy the older milight bridges. The binding is structured in a way, that it would need a big rework to make the iBox/iBox2 work with older bulbs.

Cheers, David

Hallo David,

have you already finished the debug file?

Greetings Peter

Am I right in saying that the old protocol doesn’t support setting a specific brightness (e.g. brightness = 45%), but instead the commands are more like ‘increase brightness’ and ‘decrease brightness’?

The issue with buying the old bridge is that I need to pull all the lights out to pair them individually as I don’t have independent power to them.

Is there any quick overview you can give about the binding structure and what would need changing to support these lights? I might give it a go if I can find the time.

I also have the same problem as Kent.
The dual whitelights I can control over the Android app, but not over the binding.
With the new WW CW lamps it also works with the binding.

Just reporting that I am also in the same situation as hexakopter and Kent , to show that there is interest in finding a solution to the old milight bulb issue. as you all have pointed out the new bridge is indeed compatible with the old bulbs. investing in a deprecated bridge isn’t the most attractive “solution”

Shortly after my last post I came across the following links:
http://blog.christophermullins.com/2017/02/11/milight-wifi-gateway-emulator-on-an-esp8266/
http://blog.christophermullins.com/2017/03/18/reverse-engineering-the-new-milightlimitlessled-2-4-ghz-protocol/

Chris has reverse engineered the MiLight 2.4GHz protocol and created his own "iBox"
As of about two weeks ago, it looks like it only supports the older bulbs, but he is working on support for the newer bulbs too (see the second link).

In my case this might be an ideal solution as his WiFi -> MiLight bridge can emulate multiple standard bridges, plus it can learn the codes for already paired lights. This means there is no need for me to remove repair ~50 downlights, plus I can hopefully replace 15 bridges with one device.

Sounds like a good solution. Hopefully the new milight protocol will be released soon which is said to support more than just 4 groups and will be supported by this binding.

Cheers, David

I just built the version of Chris. Unfortunately, the scanning does not work.

I have built a version with NodeMCU and one with Wemos D1 Mini.
I have tried about 10 different NRF boards, no luck.
I can reach the website, but Sniff Traffic does not show any results.
I’m trying to find the error.

edit 2h later:
Device scan still does not work.
But if one knows the device ID you can control the Milight lamps.
Testet with the old RGBW lamps.
Greetings Peter

Do you know how the V6 bridge supports the old bulbs, e.g. old V3 protocol or is it a variation of the V6 protocol? Could we use your test bridge to find out? If it is the old V3 protocol would it work if the Thing was manually configured as a V3 bridge?

Looking on Amazon the old bridges are looking harder to find, but there looks to be lots of older bulbs still available.

If you mean me.

You can set up one or more gateway servers with V5 Protoll with the solution from Chris. This allows the old lamps to be controlled.
At the same time, you can also run a few V6 servers.
Then the new lamps go.

Everything works perfectly.

Greeting Peter

Configuring the bridge manually should work fine. I thought of just showing the old bulbs as well as soon as an ibox is detected. But this means that about 10 items are shown after auto discovery

David, can we hide the unused items?

You said you wanted to make a debug jar.
Have you come any further?

I follow this topic with great interest
I have a Mi-Light Wifi iBox 1
at the moment i have no other mi-lights than this

is there someway i can try the latest code/binding?

i installed the binding that comes thru paper-UI
With this binding i can get the iBox online with no problem, but i can not control de light on de iBox it self.
i see channels for groeps en color, but not for the iBox itself

i guess that is not the latest bleeding edge code

is it already available for download? a ready made jar file or do i have to compile something

i like to see where this is heading and test/play with it.

thanks for this development.

Hi, i’m new in using mi-light with openhab2, i have a mi light wifi iBox controller and a mi light STRIP RF Controller FUT038 and my outdoor led light strip working with the iOS APP. Now i what integrate that things in my openhab2.

So far, the bridge is online in oh2. the milight things will be online in oh2. The control panel will be able to switch the brightness, but my led light strip will do nothing,

my question is how to integrate an led light strip on oh2. The binding in oh2 says supported things RBG Led, White Led and Milightbridge. Is there any opportunity to integrate LED Strips with MiLight into Openhab2?