Upgrade from 3.2.0 to 3.3-snapshot or only upgrade z-wave binding - which is the more stable path?

Continuing the discussion from Request for Database to be updated:

I am having the exact same issue as Joshua. I really don’t want to destabilize the system if possible. Someone else suggested maybe I upgrade to the 3.3 snapshot. I’m curious if anyone has an opinion - which is a better path, upgrade from 3.2.0 to 3.3 snapshot or only move to the new binding?

Bindings are not always backwards compatible. In fact, I’m not sure OH will even try to run a 3.3 version binding on a 3.2 base, but it doesn’t cost anything but a little bit of time to try. Usually you can install a milestone or snapshot version of an add-on for the same version (e.g. install a 3.3 M4 add-on on a 3.3 M1 OH) but not between versions.

So your second option may not even be an option. But like I said, it’s worth a try. In the case of the Zwave binding, I don’t think there has been much work done on it for a bit so unless there have been some internal changes to the OH core API it could work out.

Just make sure to take backups first.

In general, OH is pretty stable (stable as in runs without errors or problems), even in the snapshots. You are not likely to encounter any major problems even on the snapshots. If it were me, I’d probably just upgrade everything instead of trying to mess with just the add-on.

But look at the list of changes between 3.2 release and the latest 3.3 milestone (note that each milestone has its own list so you’ll need to look at all of the release notes for a full picture). That will tell you best whether you are likely to have to do some work to upgrade or not. I can’t think of any significant changes between 3.2. and 3.3 which would cause you to need to change anything in your config but I don’t remember everything all the time. ;-)-

One change that might affect you in 3.3 is that there is a validation check of the parameters which would have been ignored in the past. See My Z-Wave is borked. It may cause you to update some of your parameters, but it shouldn’t be a big problem. I was unaffected by this, but others were affected.

Thanks for the advice. I’m going to just move to 3.3-snapshot. My system is pretty general so I don’t expect there will be too many issues, if any.