What did you build/automated today (with pictures)?

If you zoom in on the stove, you will see we have a sheet of glass behind our stove.
The tiles can we wiped down with a damp cloth, but guess they are IP20 only.
The fit between tiles is not water tight.

Also just order another sheet of glass for behind the sink.

@Gad_Ofir, will make a video when the current pile of dishes are done :slight_smile:

Go for it! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Now hereā€™s a thoughtā€¦

Are touches still detected by the panels when they are behind the glass?

Tried it out just now, and to my surprise they are!
But only the part of the glass that make contact with the tiles.
On the right hand side, lower part I have a 1mm gap, and in that area they are not detected. Not surprisingly. The glass is 6mm, Optiwhite.
You have to press quite hard though, so a more natural place is the ones with the center just outside of the glass. I currently have 3 tiles assigned to wall on/off, Tiles behind stove to 100% or all to 30% and one for turning on or off the down-lights under the cupboards.
Note that a down-light licking straight down the tiles will not look good. But all gaps between the tiles disappear (visibly) as soon as the tiles are lit.

1 Like

Now thatā€™s an excellent answer.

Thank you for taking the time to experiment and document your findings. :+1:

Great idea with the tilesā€¦reminded me of thisā€¦

Squid :squid:

5 Likes

Ah, screens. I like it. Maybe next timeā€¦ :slight_smile:

Iā€™ve just signed off a project for a client who is using openHAB2 as the UI for his entire home.

The back bone of the property uses Velbus hardwired modules, for timed events, lighting, heating, ventilation, window blinds, Sonos & architectural LED lighting control.

Strictly speaking, OH is remotely controlling 3 seperate LED controllers, but as far as his family is concerned, EVERYTHING is controllable from Velbus glass panels.

I thought you might like a sneaky peek at the really fancy stuff.

So hereā€™s a video that shows the >7100 RGB pixels in all their glory.

Iā€™ll do something more with the video in the future, but for now, just take a peek and see what can be done with a little bit of imagination and some amazing suppliers.

*** Update ***

Iā€™ve made a short video of just the staircase if anyone is interested.

Iā€™ll not be making a how to video, but Iā€™m happy to arrange for stairs to be made to order.

7 Likes

Thats pretty awesomeā€¦ Admit, I dont like the colors/RGBĀ“sā€¦ I have had Philips Hue for quite some time, and IĀ“m done playing with colors :slight_smile:
What would be really awesome is the stairs at 2:15ā€¦ Each step should lit up when someone walking the stairs, and ofcouse turn off after the person, each steps as wellā€¦ Colors could be depending of the weight of the personā€¦ Green for low weigth and red for heavy weight :grin:

2 Likes

The client thinks the whole installation is ā€œfar beyond his wildest expectationsā€

The nice thing is that it can all be dialed back to something very subtle, or dialed up to the max with audio or video triggers.

All totally possible :slight_smile:

If there were pressure sensors in each step, it wouldnā€™t be difficult to use the data for all kinds of effects.

There is a break beam sensor at the top and the bottom of this set, which will be used for something imaginative :slight_smile:

All done by Jinx?
It may come in hand for a audio/visual light show.

Which could do, unless someone is running at the stairs I guess :slight_smile:
YouĀ“ll have to tell your client, having light on the stairs requires pressure sensors on each step :smiley:

Indeed it is.

3 instances of Jinx! so that the property areas can be controlled independently.

(I could map everything in one instance, but that lacks flexibility)

And yes, I ā€˜couldā€™ have suggested pressure sensorsā€¦

Likewise, Video surveillance with human shape recognitionā€¦

But where should we draw the line?

____ update 2019 July 4th ____

Our of curiosity, I asked Madrix for a quote for the software license for this client.

The reply wasā€¦

Ā£2300 + VAT !!!

Just to enable the software !!!

Their version of the hardware does 50% less and costs >200% more.

I didnā€™t automate anything today ā€“ but I did manage to backup my Z-Wave dongle and restore to a secondary identical dongle which is now running my network, with the primary in a box! My entire openHAB setup is now backed up ā€“ not just the OS image (through Clonezilla) but also the hardware itself.

Just posting this as a way of asking / reminding: Are you backed up?

5 Likes

Iā€™ve had this running for about a month now. The gas meters in the UK have a magnet on the dial. I used a wemos which is in deep sleep and a read switch to reset it.

When the wemos wakes up it connects to the WiFi, connects to mqtt and updates a topic and goes back to sleep.
OH listens for that topic and calculates my gas consumption.

I designed and printed the enclosure with a solar panel on it to keep the lipos charged. So far it has net excess energy but will struggle in winter as it only gets around a hour of sunlight (when itā€™s not cloudy)

Some stats:

• It uses 22uA when sleeping
  • It takes 220ms to wake up, connect and go back to sleep
  • That process uses around 170mA
  • When the boiler is running it cycles roughly once every 30 seconds.
  • The usage then is then 34mA/s
  • My kids shower way to long.

Some images of it.

2 Likes

Could you share your .stl files?
Cause i think i use the same solar panel and lipos for my sensors :grinning:

very interesting, could you please explain ( in a separate post) How you do this?

@The-Elk

See also here: New UZB dongle, Z-Wave PC controller immediately exits (or crashes) with no error message

@The-Elk: What @Celaeno1 said :slight_smile:

This thread. The instruction starts at the ā€œsolutionā€ post. Earlier posts detail my journey in agonizing detail.

Sure, I will stick them on thingyverse and share the link.
If you donā€™t have the same solar panels itā€™ll cost you a whopping Ā£1.99 to buy it from fleabay :slight_smile:

Here you go: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3728174

1 Like