What tablet for a wall dashboard

I have a M Galaxy Tab 2 8” - looks great, and works well as a display, but sadly HABPanel is just too slow on it to be used interactively.
Screen changes etc take several seconds - so it looks like I may be rolling back to a simple basicui for now

How “large” is your panel? I too find it really sluggish but… I run it from a cheap Chinese tablet which is slow anyway. From my Samsung 10 inch its better but not snappy.
I’m wondering on making multiple dashboards and switching between them rather than one large one.

Opening debug tools shows how much it is actually doing.

Definitely hasn’t looked enough. I’ve had a wall mounted 20 or 21" HP android desktop touch screen workstation that I wall mounted about 3.5 years ago that fits the criteria and looked at a touchscreen acer wall mountable chrome tablet around 21".

They’re most definitely available. The HP is stuck on android 4.4.2 and the chrome one was best with a bluetooth keyboard, but there are others. I know of a bazoodle of windows based “all in ones”, most of which can be wall mounted

And that matters how? A flat screen all in one (android chrome windows) fits the bill.

This is akin to saying there are no small cars that get 50mph, when there are many, and then saying “but that’s not a car”.

Just get a Raspberry Pi and add the 7" or 10" screen to it. Done. Total price with 7" screen is 120.00.

That would have been my go-to solution as well, if only the 7" and 10" touchscreens for Raspberry looked more like a finished product rather than parts for a (temporary) development board. Official display with a case looks ugly af, third party touchscreen displays have HDMI and USB and power cables coming out on all sides or visible screws for metallic stand-offs, and so on. None have VESA mounts or any decent wall-mount mechanisms, nor Power over Ethernet - unless you’ll add a HAT on the Raspi and grow it into an even bigger brick. I’m sure there are people who’d build a beach buggy out of square bar and be proud to leave the amateur welding visible, but to me a slightly higher financial expense for a compact, sleek, finished product is money well spent on avoiding an eyesore in the middle of the house for the next 10+ years. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I’d say this is one place where spending a little money is worth while if you want it to be an interactive device.
The Galaxy TAB I originally bought is slow - it makes my whole wall panel experience slow and means I use it for info rather than interaction - I’ll be upgrading this soon so something more performant.

The many hours of automation work and many £ spent on tech really do deserve a good quality shiny interface (and sometimes I don’t want to talk to Alexa)

2 Likes

You can have a network connection using a USB OTG connection, while still applying power. I’ve done it with some of my phones and tablets.

Hi

Could you explain how?

I was under the impression that there needed to be some strange data pin shorting to put the phone / tablet into charging mode, then release the data pin short within xMS to enable OTG&Charging mode ???

It can be phone specific, carrier specific or type of Custom ROM installed. I have had phones and tablets that natively detects the network. Try this first:
You first have to become a developer on your tablet, which means you have to tap on the software version nine times under the about tablet menu in the settings. This will create a new menu item in your android settings simply called “developer options”. Tap on developer options and scroll down to find an option that asks you to “Select USB Configuration”. Select "RNDIS (USB Ethernet) and try that.

Tell me if it works? Worse comes to worst If you tell me what device, brand and model number you want to have network connection, I will let you know a solution. Trust me I don’t mind checking this out for you. Each time I look up android articles or have android issues and I have to research it I learn in the process. We all win.

3 Likes

Just to share my experience…
Had bought a tablet a few months ago (>18), small one (8") to set up on my 1st floor as a second control screen. Well known brand (Lenovo). I didn’t take the time to set it up to the wall but installed everything needed on it and plug it continuously so that it is still 100% charged.
Guess what… the battery had swollen, breaking the tablet case…
Not sure I’ll consider a tablet for a long lasting wall mounted screen…

Yeah, that’s always going to be an issue.

I’ve just had a ‘phone’ die in a similar way, because I was using it as a SMS gateway.

For a wall tablet, I’d always recommend a proper POE device, or something that doesn’t have a battery (other than UPS or Clock)

If you only want a small screen, there seem to be plenty of Raspberry Pi touch screens or other SBC.

I found this article a few minutes ago, which uses a Pi with a touch screen, in a nice little case.

1 Like

Dear Daniel,

How you made this wall mount it looks good. Can you share about DIY procedure ?

Thanks in advance.

Google Nexus 7 by ASUS Tablet is so much good and they have guide Asus Google Nexus 7 - Full tablet specifications