What tablet for a wall dashboard

Thanks for your response.
I did a factory reset as well, but because I am a rookie on android I wondered if there are any typical background apps which are in 5.1 by default but not required.
Maybe removing even the smallest apps might improve performance?!

By the way:
I use a 100€ Xido tablet:

2 Likes

The 7" sibo poe units are now upgraded to android 6.1 and quite stable. Geekland markets and distributes these units and several othe POE that support both the 802.3af and 802.3at standards.

Hi, may i ask you, which app do you use for your xido table, i am interested in this app which you have on the pic here, in the top is written homer

thanks for the info, brgds

Hello!

It definitely looks a lot like HABPanel, rather then some dedicated application. Or, are you asking about an application HABPanel is open in (browser, Fully Kiosk Browser etc)?

Best regards,
Davor

I intend to use it for my door camera but i would see on same screen also
temperature and maybe some breaking news…

Brgds

Hello!

Take a look at the documentation. I suppose this should be a thing you’re looking for.

Best regards,
Davor

A more complete documentation article for HABPanel is now available here:
https://docs.openhab.org/configuration/habpanel.html

:wink:

1 Like

Of course,
I use the standard Android browser, which is run by Fully Kiosk Browser (exclusively in Kiosk Mode - so no access to other functions without a password).
I am totally satisfied - however, the Xido itself could have more power, because it’s pretty slow.

@Artyom_Syomushkin, where did you find those micro usb cables that you had this picture of?

I never found supplier of those micro usb cables. You can buy insted charging pads like this one and cut out what you need:

Note that there is USB A and USB B type of the plug.

Yes, exactly these. Just buy and cut.

You mean cut and solder?

Yes

Hello,

Is a 10 inch tablet big enough for habpanel? Or is a bigger tavblet better, like 13 or 14 inch

You haven’t looked hard enough :wink:

Hi

I have put a number of these in for clients as in wall / on wall POE Android tablets.

I haven’t tried the OpenHab app or HabPanel Viewer app on it yet, but I’ll try it this morning and update this post.

They come with a 220v power adapter, but I normally install them with a POE hub.

Hello,

i use a 10" Firetab from Amazon.

1 Like

It’s not a matter of looking hard enough. It’s a matter of whether such a device could rightly be called a tablet.

I’m only pulling your leg :wink:

1 Like

Hi,

I ordered a wall-mounted 10" tablet directly at the manufacturer in China, via Alibaba. The link is here:

It has a 10" IPS display with good quality (no spots or dead pixels), Android 6.0 rooted, a VESA mount with 75mm spacing, and can be powered either via a power adapter (included) or PoE (has a physical Fast Ethernet port). Multiple USB ports, a card reader, built-in speakers, no bloatware… There’s a built-in battery accessible through a panel in the back, a pair of 18650 cells which can be removed. Looks really good and works well. I can share more specific details for anyone interested, it’s still pending installation (the house is being completely renovated so it will be a couple of months). At 180ish USD including FedEx international courier and roughly one week from order to delivery, this was a really good deal with the extra features for permanent on-wall mounting + Ethernet + PoE that a regular portable tablet doesn’t have without extra accessories.

[Later edit] I bought a flat/compact VESA mount for it, made of two interlocking parts with V-shaped metal guides. One part stays on the wall, the other on the tablet, so it will also be possible to just pull the tablet up and detach it from the wall. (Obviously also unplug the Ethernet cable and enable wifi, it will run on battery for several hours.) Not sure why would anyone need to do that, but why limit the possibilities when the cost of VESA mount was the same :slight_smile:

1 Like