Where can I find a tutorial "basic demo-setup"

Of course there are patterns and of course there is structure. Those are in the dokumentation .

It is maybe just structured in an other Way than how you would prefer .

I am not saying it is easy and yes there is no step by step guide.

I am no expert , but did compare to home Assistant and found Openhab much better dokumented than Homeassistant .

Hi,
If i can add that it is a little more complex for those who do not have a good command of english like me ! With the technical situations described in the documentation, it is sometimes difficult. It could be more simple with draw or video. For example, i am not sure openHAB work alone. I mean if i have things (relay for ex), bindings (shelly), items (convectors) do i need mosquitto, red-node etc ???
Jean Luc

Do you want to use Mosquitto? Do you need to write rules in Node-Red? Iā€™m not sure how pictures would help you with those personal decisions.

I donā€™t know inconvenient and adventage with mosquitto. Is Open HAB work alone ?
I spoke about video or picture to show some concret example that each other can adapt. For me with my shelly 1, shelly 2.5 and H&T sensors i need to ā€œleaveā€ app cloud for a local network, make rules ā€œfriendly lookingā€ like line on relay 1 and 2 of the shelly 2.5 at 8h00, line on relay 1 if sensor temperature < 18Ā°C etc

write your questions in your bative language and then just use google-translate to translate to english.
The grammar wonā€™t be brilliant but it will be easy to understand.

As far as I have understood it: OpenHAB offers a ā€œcenterā€ which can ā€œplug-inā€ many many ā€œadaptersā€ to connect all kinds of IoT-devices with a lot of different protocols. OpenHAB is able to use rule on its own.
So Yes OpenHAB can work ā€œaloneā€

Your description is not very clear yet. So please use google-translate

best regards Stefan

Stuff like Mosquitto and Node-Red are not something that you choose to use just because. Itā€™s not an extra. Either you need it or you donā€™t.

You need it when the technology or device you want to use with openHAB requires MQTT. While Shelly supports MQTT, there is also a Shelly binding. So use that. It doesnā€™t work through the cloud, itā€™s a local control. But if you donā€™t trust the binding, then switch the devices over to use MQTT in which case Mosquitto (or some other MQTT Broker) is required.

It depends on what devices and technology you want to integrate with it. Sometimes there isnā€™t a binding but there is a Python script or Node program on GitHub that integrates with that technology. You could use that to make the technology or device work in openHAB.

One reason why there isnā€™t really an end-to-end tutorial is because, as you are seeing, the answers to all of your questions are almost always going to be ā€œit depends.ā€

Home automation is hopelessly fragmented and full of hundreds of technologies and devices that canā€™t talk to each other. So often the answers and the steps and the approach is going to depend on your specifics.

For your specifics with Shelly, use the Shelly binding. Save MQTT for a time when you really need it.

Now tell me:

what made it possible that you are able to use openHAB in many and versatile ways?
The answer is: experience
That is something that you collect. You collect experience.
Now there are a lot of ways to collect experience

1. doing a lot of try and error
  2. asking in forums
  3. reading a lot in documentation
    but last but not least
    following example-tutorials to get at least a rough picture of how it works.

analogon:
If you start learning welding you start with
Inert gas welding
or
electrode rod-welding

of course there are specialties like
Electron beam welding
Roll welding, Friction welding and a lot of more
All welding-methods have still some basic things in common. And for these basics things learning
Inert gas welding
or
electrode rod-welding
is useful

This is the reason why I insist on example-tutorials are useful!
best regards Stefan

Then you need to write them. Iā€™ve been working with openHAB for near on a decade. In that entire time Iā€™ve dedicated myself to helping new users get started with openHAB. Iā€™ve written scores of tutorials. Iā€™ve written more than half of the Getting Started tutorial.

Yes, I have lots of experience with OH. But I have even more experience helping new users get started with OH.

Iā€™ve even written end-to-end tutorials. Heck, the Getting Started tutorial is an end-to-end tutorial. Here are some more:

Dozens of users have written hundreds of other tutorials and posted examples. Some are point and some are end-to-end too. Solutions - openHAB Community

There are lots of resources outside of this forum and the docs too. See How to get started (there is no step-by-step tutorial) where I collected a bunch of them.

Examples we have coming out of our ears. What we donā€™t have is an end-to-end show me everything using my specific technologies X, Y and Z. Thatā€™s not feasible. There would be 350! (thatā€™s factorial) different tutorials just to cover the different combinations of add-ons alone. That wouldnā€™t even touch Items, the UI, Persistence, etc.

So what we do have are point examples. We have examples that document, as @StefanL38 called it, ā€œthe patternā€ for how to do something in OH. But you have to be able to take that tutorial, extract the pattern, and apply it to your specific bespoke situation and goals.

And if that isnā€™t good enough, anyone can step up and see if they can do better. Demanding that other people donate their time to document things exactly how you want isnā€™t going to get you anywhere. Weā€™ve all already done the best we can. If itā€™s not good enough, step up and show us a better way.

2 Likes

OK I guess I got it.