Windows: Eclipse SmartHome Designer does not open config from Samba share

Eclipse SmartHome Designer will only load the list of items but not the configuration files themselves when pointed to a network share.
When I copy the configuration to a local folder it will open it just fine.
Why does it behave like that? Is this a known Bug?

It should look like this:

Note that you need to have a complete standard configuration folder including the openhab_default.cfg.

No, there is no openhab_default.cfg file in OH2 :slight_smile:

Can you describe a bit more in detail what is happening? I am not aware of any problem.

After selecting my Configuration on the network share it looks like this. I can add the files (like demo.items) by selecting the items subfolder instead of the main folder but then it only shows the one selected file (in this case demo.items and nothing else)

EDIT
I found a way to load all files: The designer will not correctely load the top directory of a network share.
In my case: \hauto\openhab
However it will load subdirectories:
In my case: \hauto\openhab\test
Still annoying since this will happen if you mount the Samba shares according to the official tutorial but atleast we now know how to “fix” it.

Eclipse Smarthome Designer Win64 (latest snapshot downloaded today) is working absolutely fine on my Windows10 Home Installation, without any workaround.
My conf folder is found under T:\conf, which is the samba share on my NUC running openHAB2

This is the expected outcome since your config is not in the root folder of your network share.
If it was just in T: it might not work

Just did another try and mapped the conf folder as root, so it is now Z:
Everything is fine as before.

Weird
 Did you also restart the designer?

Yes, I did

Thanks for testing! This kind of bug is the worst

I always overlook the “openhab2” tag 
:sunglasses:

My identical issue brought me to this thread, and adopting hmerk’s mapped drive approach resolved my issue, now everything loads correctly. Previously, I had added the configuration folder via browsing the network and selecting the share on my Raspberry Pi. Thanks for the hint.

I’ve the same Problem.

I created a symbolic link to openhab-conf (/home/openhab/openhab-conf -> /etc/openhab2) and changed the smb.conf to the following:

allow insecure wide links = yes

[openHAB]
  comment=openHAB2
  path=/home/openhab
  follow symlinks = yes
  wide links = yes
  browseable=Yes
  writeable=Yes
  only guest=no
  public=no
  create mask=0777
  directory mask=0777

That works but I don’t know if ‘unsecure wide links’ are a good solution !?!

Hi @,

if someone comes across this matter again. For me the difference was to use a drive letter (Y:) and not the UNC path (\server\openhabcfg).
When using the UNC path, the items get loaded, but the configuration does not load.

Yes, I have just hit this as well.
Using the UNC path, only the items get loaded, but the configuration does not appear.(as FridoQ screenshot)
Work around as stated is to map to drive letter and everything appears fine.

1 Like

This is especially annoying because its the default in openhabians smb config. I am a new user and this is confusing. Not sure if there should be a fix in openhabian or the designer.

What is your exact problem using openhabian ?
The need to map a drive letter is a Windows issue.

so the confusing part is using 2 pieces of software from the official openhab ecosystem not working together as the user expects. This i would describe as a bug.
Sure i found the solution now after finding this thread, but wouldn’t it be better if it works out of the box?

Yes, it would be better, if it works out of the box, but I am not sure, if this is an openHAB issue or “a Microsoft feature”.
Working with network shares under Windows, I always use drive letter mappings, so never saw this as an issue.

So I would not really blame the openHAB ecosystem for this.

i am no programmer, but i don’t think thats windows fault.
The information has to be passed to the designer, because the Items are shown. How could the designer know the items without reading the item files?
Seems more like an bug in the designer or the java/windows implementation.