“works with openHAB” initiative

It looks good. Thankyou. But I have a few suggestions that I will post tomorrow.

Looks quite good!
One idea: I plan to put the “works with” logo on openHAB Artwork | openHAB, possibly as a separate download, so that it is simpler to find. How about creating a blog post on the openHAB Blog | openHAB about the “partner program” with similar information that you have in your email, but which we can then also easily publicly reference (and which itself could reference the logo download). You could then also link to this blog post in your e-mail for further information. Wdyt?

8 Likes

Change “has been” => “is”

Change “can integrate” => “integrates”

Change “look forward to the possibility of working” => “look forward to working”

4 Likes

Thanks, @AndrewFG =, I changed them and improved the content slightly, as I was not content with the sentence “I’m writing on behalf of a … software solution…”.

@Kai, I agree with having a separate link, but I think the partnership would deserve its own page instead of a blog article, it should be easy to find through the navigation.
We could write an article about the initiative for the community, but I think it would be better to do it once we have some partners. What do you say?

1 Like

Sure, @nelson.aponte, a dedicated page under “About” would of course work as well. And having a subsequent blog post / community post, once we gained some traction, would then be even better.

1 Like

By the way, how many developers do we have? Do we also know the countries they come from?

This gives you some statistics: The openHAB - empowering the smart home Open Source Project on Open Hub
So overall there were ~1000 code contributors to openHAB, with ~50 being active per month.
We do not have any information about their location.

4 Likes

Aggregated statistics can be fetched through The openHAB - empowering the smart home Open Source Project on Open Hub. It shows more than 1000 contributors in total. This is a complete statistic which span across multiple repositories, not only core, for period of more than 10 years. :wink:

Thank you, @Kai and @splatch.
I updated the draft. I think it’s ready unless there are further suggestions.

1 Like

Thanks for this great initiative :+1:

One question to the round: do you think it could be a problem if openHAB supports certain devices only partially or maybe not at all?

I know for example, that the boschshc binding (which I maintain) supports many of the generation 1 devices, but only few of the recently released generation 2 devices. Of course we plan to support those in the future but I guess 100% support of the complete functionality can never be guaranteed. I suppose this is true for most of the other bindings as well, at least if products are still enhanced/updated or if new products are still released by certain vendors.

Do you see any potential of users being disappointed or frustrated if they see the “works with openHAB” logo, and later find out that their specific device is not (fully) supported yet? I guess for tech-savvy people this should implicitly be clear since this is an open source project and it’s in the name, but I’m not sure if all “regular” end users share this implicit understanding.

In any case, this should not prevent us from advancing this valuable initiative :rocket:

1 Like

I think that is not a problem. And indeed rather if a manufacturer would commit to using the logo, it would probably motivate them to help us make the coverage of their devices better.

2 Likes

I agree that it is not something that should prevent us from doing things and moving forward. However, I believe it’s also a valid point.
Maybe we could find a way to make it easier to report to the community (or binding developer) whenever a device is not supported, perhaps by placing the right links in the right places.
Maybe somewhere easily identifiable in the Help & About section of openHAB.

3 Likes

Any update here?

Hi, @florian-h05.

I’ve been working on gathering data to decide which partners make sense to contact.
I’ll start sending the emails soon.

I’ll keep everyone updated.

Best regards.

4 Likes

You can “reach first” to connectorio. :wink: We’re happy to add “works with openHAB” logo in documentation of bindings we maintain: Welcome to ConnectorIO® Add-ons documentation :: ConnectorIO® Documentation.

1 Like

This is more to address hardware vendors :wink:

Hardware is not being mentioned even once in message which been discussed here. It mentions just products and services.

Highlighted parts which make program message open:

However, after re-reading message clearly connectorio do not match part which speaks about “Our global development team has already integrated your products, simplifying the process for you”.

I don’t think it necessarily has to be just for hardware vendors. E.g., Node-Red could display the logo.

If you maintain the Connectorio website, you don’t need to wait for any email. You can simply download the logos (I’d suggest one of the SVG versions) from https://www.openhab.org/workswith-openHAB-logo.zip and upload them to your website with a link to www.openhab.org

And… thanks for your support! :slight_smile:

My understanding is that the maintainer of the Node-Red plugin has dropped supporting it as of the beginning of this year. Node-red OpenHAB node maintenance ended.

MQTT is still possible but unless and until someone picks the plugin back up or implements a new one I don’t think a “Works with openHAB” designation for Node-Red is warranted. However, because openHABian installs and configures it maybe it is?

Node-Red was just an (bad :slight_smile: ) example of a non-hardware partner who could be a potential target if the integration is actively supported.
In general, I’d say that if there is not even a developer supporting the integration, it’s better not to knock on that door.