Z-Wave database site updates

:+1:

Yes, Iā€™ve been looking at that today - @mhilbush had the same issue so we kind of worked through this earlier.

Iā€™m still looking into it and it may not be resolved until next week - I spoke to my cloud provider earlier but their Saturday staff werenā€™t able to resolve the immediate DNS issue required to configure a new mail serverā€¦

Anyway, thanks for the continued feedback.

1 Like

You might consider mailgun or other mail provider as an alternativeā€¦ from what I have heard some of mass mail providers guarantee not only fast sending times but also servers with no spam badge (for extra money). Technically speaking it is just another smtp serverā€¦

Cheers,
Łukasz

1 Like

I think I still need to resolve the DNS issues anyway, and there are some significant benefits as well to running the system on the server. I can also run mail through the existing systems, which is what Iā€™ve been doing, but it can cause some issues of its own.

1 Like

Iā€™ve now implemented a slightly smarter search system that opens the way to more advanced searchingā€¦ You can now specify the manufacturer as a hex number in the search filter -:

If you type manufacturer:0000 (where 0000 is the hex reference of the manufacturer) then it will work the same as selecting the manufacturer in the dropdown.

This also means that you can use this with other search terms - eg if you wanted a fibaro 3kw switch -:

It may be possible to extend this with other search filters and Iā€™ve added a Search Help button to document these features -:

3 Likes

I logged in again to opensmarthouse and had a look here and there.

Opened a ticket, fine.

After adding/uploading a test-image to FGR-223 ā†’ Reference, i can see the image clicking the link to it. Clicking on product-image throws an

Server Error 404 ## Page Not Found

There seems to be a formating error with the end of page stripe, which is visible if there a not ā€œenoughā€ rows of text:

Just to keep you busy! :wink:

Thanks :slight_smile: . Really though - I appreciate this - I kept meaning to ask someone to test ticketsā€¦

I made a few changes to this a week or two back to add attachments, and the ability to add more users to a ticket. This isnā€™t working 100% - once I went to reply to your ticket I found some problems on the admin sideā€¦

Iā€™ll fix this, then will respond to your ticketā€¦

Sorry - where do you mean exactly? If I understand correctly, it works on the reference (I see this myself) but where do you mean it doesnā€™t work?

Interesting - what browser are you using? The footer is meant to always stay at the bottom of the page, but it looks like thatā€™s not happening for you? I tested this this morning or last night on Chrome and it seemed okā€¦

Thanks.

If i select

Product-Imageā€¦ ā€¦ ā€¦ ā€¦ ā€¦ ā€¦ ā€¦ ā€¦ ā€¦ ā€¦ ā€¦roller-device-1.jpg

here

the file is nonexistant ā†’ 404. My ā€œTestimage onlyā€ is showing fine. BTW: once created, i canā€™t delete the image as far as i understand. But this may be admins job intentionally ā€¦

Iā€™ve been using chromeedge above. But itā€™s the same using firefox:

Just checked with chrome: the problem is the same. Iā€™d expect the prob to be related with the picture / not recognizing/taking it to account.
I can create screenshots where you see the browsers, if you want me to.

1 Like

Ah - so you mean the existing files donā€™t open? If so, thatā€™s ok as they havenā€™t yet been copied over from the live database. Only newly uploaded files will work at the moment.

Ok, thanks. Iā€™ve managed to replicate this now by typing in exactly the same as you have.

Iā€™ve hopefully fixed a bunch of issues in the ticket system - hopefully youā€™ll get an email at some stage (!!) that updates you - it would be good to see a) if it arrives, and b) if you now go to the list of tickets, do you still see the ticket you opened, and c) can you read all the different comments on it?

Thanks.

Exactly. So the 404 error is whatā€™s to be expected.

It did not arrive up to now, but iā€™ll let you know, if this happens.

Yes.

Yes, looks fine up to here.

But the footer-problem shows again on this page: footer covers the action buttons. I was lucky selecting the rightmost/blue one and got my reponse saved.

1 Like

Yes, for existing files this will be the case right nowā€¦

Thanks. Iā€™m not sure why some people are delayed - it comes through super quick here. Iā€™m still trying to work out a few issues with an alternative mail server but hopefully that will sort this out once I get that resolvedā€¦

Thanks - Iā€™d not spotted that either.

This one was easy to fix so is sorted. The one on the database index page is more problematic.

@yab

Re really appreciate your detailed testing. Some users are not so patient. :wink:

Both seem to be fixed. Looks like i have to leave you jobless now. :wink:

email:

I know that the mailserver on my site is using some anti spam mechanism. One of them was/is? to tell a sending server to ā€œtry again laterā€, when it didnā€™t sent mails recently. Most of the spammers donā€™t try again, normal server do. So iā€™ll wait a while, look at the headers when iā€™ve got it and let you know.

2 Likes

Thanks.

You find me ā€œguiltyā€ as well :wink: Maybe because I did not realize the comment system is also meant as a way to give feedback beyond the database content as the technical basis for thing definitions. Now that i know feedback about the usage of devices is welcome, I will add information as time permits.

A way to anonymously add information in text form has a risk of being misused for SPAM. Iā€™ve seen that on other forums that obviously had no mechanism in place for checking contents. From my pov, anon access needs some attention to avoid negative aspects.
I do not want a ā€œbig brotherā€ feedback system either, but having a form of feedback system on a voluntary basis is something I would encourage very much. It will help those who are looking for devices before they buy them. And maybe even give them an opportuniity to ask those for their opinion that use the devices themselves.
What I am reluctant to agree to is a rating system as in a webshop. ā€œBattery life 3 starsā€. Ok, but what does that mean? From my own experience I know that the device settings have a huge impact on things like that. But clicking an a rating of 1 to 5 stars does not take that into consideration. Someone not looking at their device settings - and amending them to fit their needs - might give a device a 1-star rating but for the wrong reasons.

Change of topic, but I want to express my appreciation of the work that has been done in reworking the database site. Superb job of those involved!
I only found this thread a week ago or so. I had a brief look at the test site, wanting to come back and test, but my work obligations were against that. Now I see, that others already did a great job of testing and giving feedback. Well done, guys!

3 Likes

Everyone is ā€œguiltyā€ - itā€™s pretty much human nature as people want to get their widget working, and the feedback is less important.

Howeverā€¦

Iā€™ve no problems with the comments being used for this - likewise I encourage people to add usability information into the database itself. There is a field called ā€œUsage Infoā€ which is meant for any user tips. Neither are really meant for general ramblings - it would require some moderation to make sure we donā€™t get silly comments like ā€œI hate my XYZ - itā€™s a pile of ABCā€ :slight_smile: .

I agree. There would have to be some information entered into the form to ensure itā€™s not abused so it canā€™t be completely anonymous. Iā€™ve been trialing a service that does a check on email addresses - on the current site Iā€™ve been getting a lot of spam email addresses registering and these email checker services seem to be doing a good job of filtering this.

Iā€™m not fan of big brother and probably this isnā€™t the right approach. Part of me thinks though that an anonymous system that allows us to know how many people are using a device, and where in the world (ie ZWave regions) would be really useful to allow users solid, unbiased information on what people are using. I know that just because lots of people might be using something, still doesnā€™t make it a good device though, so some sort of manual feedback would be good.

I think these sort of systems are always going to be susceptible to this. Someone may think battery performance is rubbish - not because it is, but due to some other reason. These systems require a real critical mass to ā€œfilterā€ out this sort of thing - if you have 1000 feedbacks, then the occasional disgruntled user who hates a device wonā€™t taint it.

Itā€™s a tough one - I think such a system could really benefit users - if itā€™s semi automated, or somehow in the UI, then itā€™s more likely to be used, but more likely to be unwanted. Iā€™m certainly open to ways of persuading users to participate as I really think it could be beneficial to the communityā€¦

Itā€™s an interesting topic and ideas are welcome :slight_smile:

4 Likes

No mail arrived up to now, sorry.

Ok, Iā€™m not sure why that is. Logs show it was sent fine, so Iā€™m not sure where it is delayed/killed.

I configured an other email address and added a response to my ticket.

EDIT: ā€¦ and receivd an email immediatly!
Iā€™m not sure if this is good or bad news.^^

1 Like

Strange. Was the other email address a completely different server? Iā€™m not sure what / where this is being filtered.

The current email system is using an old system for sending and it doesnā€™t quite all tie up with the DNS settings, which are configured for the new system Iā€™m still testing, so maybe some servers get upset about thisā€¦

Anyway, thanks for the feedback and testing :+1: