Zigbee binding

This was not meant as criticism. I just wanted to explain why some non-standard devices are working with zigbee2mqtt.

Sure and some are also working with the binding. This isnā€™t necessarily difficult - my point is simply that if devices donā€™t follow the standard, then they wonā€™t work out of the box and more work is required.

I dontā€¦ thats why I tested the device, and came up with the results while asking if its a binding issue.

As far as I understand, its impossible to know. One just have to take a chance and test the device, (which is what I did). And since it was disovered allright and added, though it seem to lack a few channels, I had to ask.

But how can I answer this question - youā€™ve not provided any real information, so itā€™s really hard to make any real comment - sorry. All I can do is buy the device for testing - my main focus is on devices that support the standard - other devices will always need more work - itā€™s just a fact of life Iā€™m afraid.

There isnt any ā€œrealā€ information. So I had to test the device, notice the outcome, and then ask. I dont expect you to answer something you dont know. But how am I suppose to know what you know, other than asking?

Anyway, I believe I got an answer. This device probably dont follow the standard either, which probably is the reason for the outcome. Next case!

There should be more information - logs, sniffer logs, network XML files. Just the usual things I normally ask for :wink:

Sorry, I thought you meant device information (manufacture info).

Here you go.
Debug log file from about 22:30 where I remove the device and added it again.
Sniffer log in wireshark format.
Device .xml file
zigbee log and sniffing.rar.txt (132.9 KB)

And then youĀ“ll probably need my network securtiy key as well. Here is the coordinator settingsā€¦

Have a strange issue here (again).
At this moment everything seems to work fine. However, if I unplug my Osram plug, then my Trust Motion sensor no longer reports.
I had the same issue trying to add the Trust sensor. I couldnĀ“t add it to the system untill I had the Osram plug added.
This issue has started since I installed a fresh openhab 2.5 snapshot and upgraded the zigbee binding to the latest 2.5 snapshot with 1.1.11 lib. Going back to 1.1.10 doesnt change anything.

Here is the zigbee debug log and sniffer log:
zigbee logging.rar.txt (320.2 KB)

I removed the Osram plug at 22:30 and inserted in again at 22:33 Inbetween the Trust sensor didnt report anything or changed state even though it has a timeout (re-trigger) of 25 sec.

Probably the Osram bulb is the parent of the motion sensor - if the bulb disappears, then the route disappears. If it canā€™t find another parent then there will be no data.

The Trust sensor is closer to the coordinator and a Philips Hue bulb. Actually the Philips hue bulb is less than 1.5 meters from the Trust sensor. I thought it would change the route on the fly?
The osram plug is aprox 10 Meters from the Trust sensors, with walls inbetween.

Probably it should - Iā€™m only commenting on what I think is happening based on what you are seeing.

I had a look through the sniffer logs, and itā€™s quite clear this is the issue. The device doesnā€™t try to rejoin the network (I donā€™t know why) and both the coordinator, and the device, are trying to route through the parent that is no longer there.

Anything I can do or change to testā€¦(I know you said you dont know why). But since I can reproduce this issue, maybe there is something I can change somehwere to get another result or?

I dont recall having this issue with openhab 2.4 and the zigbee snapshot 2.5 and 1.1.10 lib.
I changed to openhab 2.5M1 last weekend, and I believe this issue started sometime afterā€¦ However, this was a blind shot, cause I has serious problems adding the Trust sensor today. It stopped reporting a coupple of days ago. Today I also noticed the Osram plug no longer responded either, so I removed it and added it againā€¦ And then I could add the Trust sensor again as usual.

I know it sounds weird, but could there be somekind of static route between these two devices? I had never had troubble adding the Trust sensor like this before.

The Philips Hue bulb is new at my system as well. I had a few spare ones laying around I wasnt using anyway. So I installed one bulb last weekend very close to my Zigbee battery sensors, and aprox 10 meters from the Osram plug, in a hope to maybe optimze some routing or maybe signal quality issuesā€¦ I dont think it has change anything though.

Not that I know of. Itā€™s down to how the motion sensor handles the loss of its parent - it should try to find another parent, but it doesnā€™t seem to, and therefore it canā€™t communicate.

Maybe the network was different in the past - itā€™s not related to the binding, or the library.

Yes, the route will be set between the coordinator and the parent until the parent changes.

Hmmā€¦ This zigbee stuff is really driving me nuts sometimesā€¦

Hey!
I bought a Telegesis QIVICON Zigbee Stick and some Xiaomi Aqara Door and Window Sensors, because the documentation of the binding tells me, that it should work.
But it seems like there are many problems with the Xiaomi door sensors and the Zigbee-Binding. Next time I should read in the community firstā€¦ :wink:

My Problem is, that Iā€™am able to find the Aqara sensors in the PaperUI. Iā€™m able to pair them, add as things and link the switch-channel to an item. After that, I receive informations from the sensor. But only for an hour. After this time the sensor is lost.
In PaperUI the sensor-thing is showing the state ā€œOfflineā€ and I have to remove the sensor-thing and pair it again to get it back working.

After a couple of hours reading I upgraded to Zigbee-Binding 2.5.0 yesterday.

After the update the state of the sensor-thing is showing the state ā€œOffline - Goneā€ after one hour and still does not work.

In PaperUI in Configuration > Bindings > ZigBee Binding there is a list with supported things. The Xiaomi Contact Sensor is not listed.

My first question: Is the binding supporting the senosr or not?
If the binding supports the sensor, what can I do to get it working?

Thanks for the work.

There is something else, maybe a bug. I have also a smartplug (Osram) thing added with the Zigbee-Binding. This smartplug-thing also shows ā€œOfflineā€ after the update, but seems to work in the rulesā€¦

Hi Niklas,
I had a similar problem that my Aqara sensors were going offline after approx. one hour.
What did the trick for me, was to allow ā€˜unsafe (re-)joiningā€™. Disclaimer: You may put your Openhab-instance in danger to be overtaken by a third party (see some information here).

With that out of the way :slight_smile:: How to do it:

1. Open your Paper UI
  2. Go to Configuration (left hand sinde)
  3. Click on Things
  4. From the list of devices select your Zigbee Stick.
  5. Now, click on the pencil to change its configurations.
  6. Click on Show more
  7. There should be an option named Trust Centre Join Mode
  8. Switch it to Allow all joins

Why we may need this unsafe rejoining? As Chris Jackson wrote somewhere in this thread or on the github repository: Xiaomi does not fully / properly implement the Zigbee stack and as such their devices may not support safe rejoining the Zigbee-way.

Happy tinkering!

1 Like

I believe I use the latest binding. But I dont see this Trust Center Join Mode??