[BTicino/OpenWebNet] New openHAB2 binding ready for testing

i don´t know how to do this, but i beleive it must be possible because long time ago i received a jar-file with some enhancements and less bugs for testing-purposes. poor that this other guy is not available since nearly one year, too. so the binding from him already expired last year.

Ran into the connection cannot be established error, decompiling thru it is a date check in the openwebnet-lib library. Since the source code for the library is not part of GitHub its not a straight forward fix. Did a byte code edit and reassemble back and the new one seems to be working for me. The new expiry is now 2021-03-14 15:00:00. Pushed the jar here [https://github.com/jebu/openhab2-addons/releases/tag/own-2.5.0.M3-patch]. Hopefully it will suffice till @massi puts out an official release.

8 Likes

This solved the problem for me! Thank You!! Now let’s just wait and hope for an official release…

@jebu thanks a lot, you are the greatest! binding is working again :slight_smile:

thank you, can you share us that is the code that you have modified?

Thanks Jebu,
The main weakness of this binding is that there is only one developer.
Massi di an exceptional job in creating this and I will be always grateful for this.
But an opensource project that relays only on 1 developer is doomed to be discontinued.

I really encourage any developer who use this binding to kindly support it’s maintenance.

Unfortunately I am not a developer but I am willing to do my part by testing, or anything else that Iam able do.

2 Likes

As I mentioned I edited the byte code to change the date. The core of this binding which is the openwebnet-lib is unfortunately not part of the code base. I’m not able to locate that piece anywhere which is why I had to edit the class files. @massi it would be great if you could check in the library code too either as part of this repo or in a separate project.

1 Like

I’m a recent entrant here and love the whole openhab community. This binding was a life saver for my f454 gateway. I would love to help in anyway I can. Unfortunately the codebase is incomplete without the library code which supports this binding.

1 Like

Thank you very much!!!

I hope that @massi will support by pointing in the right direction.
I think that the binding was built using some existing libraries, if I recall correctly massi mentioned them in the documentation of the binding .
But to be honest my understanding of coding is very limited😅

Great job really: the binding is working again now

Ty man!!! Was going mad.

Thanks Jebu,

All working again for me too now. I must say I am relieved and I don’t have to start learning how Eclispse IDE , gitHUB etc works just yet. It seemed an impossible mountain to climb but was starting out up it anyway. I will make a note in my diary for 14/3/2021 not to restart openHAB.

I am surprised by how things have turned out with Massi and Gozilla01. Massimo did excellent job and was for a long time a very enthusuastic developer of the binding and seemed happy with the community here. I am surprised because either something tragic happened, I hope not, or he has decided to turn his back on this community and for some reason is unable to say a decent goodbye to those folks here that got to know him a little bit and or helped with him with his work.

For anyone trying to work out if massi is or is not still interested in this binding read the following two links. Maybe we piece together some sort of explanation to confirm or allay the fears about the future of this binding and Massi’s involvement in it.

Sorry. I’ve not understood which kind of file or library must i modify and where i can find it. I’ve seen aldo the patch of Jebu but i don’t understand how to apply it.Thanks in advance

Just place it in the addons folder like you do for jar files. That’s it. Maybe clear cache and restart as well.

If you do clear the cache don’t forget to reinstall the dependencies as mentioned in the binding install instructions.

Thanks Mark. All is ok

Thanks Mark, everything works again !!!

Tnx for the tweak on JAR file, worked for me!

If I’m not wrong within readme file there’s a link to that Library:

This binding uses openwebnet-lib 0.9.x , an OpenWebNet Java lib partly based on openwebnet/rx-openwebnet client library by @niqdev, to support:

• gateways and OWN frames for ZigBee
  • frame parsing
  • monitoring events from BUS

The lib also uses few modified classes from the old openHAB 1.x BTicino binding for socket handling and priority queues.

The library is based off rx-openwebnet but its not the one that’s used. See discussion here https://github.com/openhab/openhab-addons/pull/6213#discussion_r346251832