Niko Home Control II

Interested to hear if you got this sorted. I didn’t manage to find anything on it either…

Hi ErBe, welcome :smiley:

Are you able to see the 550-00003 controller from the PC/Mac software? What happens if you press the test button on the controller, do the other modules light up?

The status led is on for ~30s after power on, nothing else responds in any way. The bus itself has 14v AC. Niko support just said that the server led should always be on, which it isn’t.

I’m buying a replacement and try the warranty.

Anyone installed the new application already? And the new updates as announced?

I upgraded the Niko Home Control software and installed the app. I have not seen issues after a first test. I also installed the new app, but didn’t spend much time with it yet. I saw no apparent issues. You can now define your Niko Home Control routines using the app.

Just a small update. Something has changed in the tags to expose your Things to Google via myopenhab.

Now, it is required to add ga tags to your existing .items file

Dimmer Lichtpunt_Keuken “Lichtpunt Keuken” [“Lighting”] { channel=“nikohomecontrol:dimmer:443b00xxxxxx:e3bbbf10-1511-4f39-bc15-xxxxxxxxxxxx:brightness”, ga=“Light”}

Rollershutter Rolluik_Boven “Rolluik Boven” [“Shutter”] { channel=“nikohomecontrol:blind:443b00xxxxxx:e182dc01-19fb-454e-ab93-xxxxxxxxxxxx:rollershutter”, ga=“Shutter”}

More information can be found in the documentation page:

Anyone who can tell me what I am doing wrong? The first picture is the question.

This is my solution

You can bypass the Activation my making the “Activate” button active in the html code. Just open up the dev tools of your browser and change the html code and voila, you can click the Activate button :wink:

3 Likes

Cleverly seen :wink:

Here is the answer to get you through it.

{“answer” : 42}

1 Like

Just received this from Niko:

"Dear Niko Home Control user,

Thank you for using our Hobby API to expand your Niko Home Control system!

However, we have noticed that you are currently using a function via this Hobby API which is having a negative impact on the overall performance of the system.
Specifically, this is the functionality for continuously retrieving the electricity power. These values are now being retrieved continuously (ratio of 1 value every 2 seconds) and are very taxing on the system. This has a negative impact on its overall performance and proper operation.
Therefore, we would like to ask you to temporarily disable this feature.

We are working on an appropriate and robust solution to enable this feature again, but this will take some time.
The probable date is now set for March 2022."

Got the same … glad its not just me thats impacted their entire system for all users by enabling this simple functionality !!

To give this some context, I have been contacted by Niko as well. Their API allows a call to get consumption data every 2 seconds for 30 seconds. Then it stops. This is fine for use in a UI, where you may want to see how much you are consuming at the moment, but very limiting for an event system like openHAB. I worked around it by calling the function every 30s, to get a continuous flow of data.
It turns out this data is not just passed through the API locally, but also sent to their cloud, causing a continuous stream of data (every 2 seconds) to their cloud for users that have this turned on. And it seams to be taxing to their cloud. It looks like all these cases are openHAB users.

I therefore want to kindly ask all of you to turn energy consumption monitoring of for the moment (disable the thing). If needed, I will adapt the binding if Niko comes with a solution for the problem. Let’s all do this to not abuse this API and encourage Niko to keep such an API available to all of us.

1 Like

Mines off and I’ve passed the feedback onto the UK Niko installers group.

I’ve stopped calling it too. Must admit, I assumed it was a local call but it seems not.

It is local between the connected controller and openHAB (using MQTT), But I am as surprised as you are that this info that goes through the local API communication, in parallel, gets send to their cloud. I don’t see the value of this on their side. The information should only pass through their cloud when using their app outside of the local network.

1 Like

So, I sent this to niko support:

“ Hi, I’ve stopped using this call for the time being, but am a little confused as to why it has an impact on your system. I would have thought that a local call to the connected controller via MQTT would have no need to report that call back to the Niko servers.

Is it true that all local requests are routed through to the niko servers?”

This was their reply:

“No but all local requests are also broadcasted to or severs. This will be fixed in a future release”

Hi,

What is the username and password combination u used to open the stream? It seems that all username/password combinations I find online are not working …

Tim

Do you mean to unlock the API or ?