OH3 Item List & Model long load times

• Platform information:
    • Hardware: RPi3+b & SSD
    • Java Runtime Environment: zulu 11
    • openHAB version: 3 stable

Dear Openhabians,

I don’t know if that is a real problem or the answer will be “it is what it is” - but I wanted to ask it anyways.

I have a OH3 setup running on my Rpi with 136 Things and 870 items. When loading the Item list in Settings it will take minutes (1 - 2 minutes minimum). Opening the Model page takes even more time (3+ minutes).
That is, with the system being in (almost) idle - no frequent rules, a load average between 0.3 to 0.4.

So, is this normal? Or is there something wrong with my setup?

Thank you so much!

Bob

Might be related to [RestAPI] Very poor performance compared to OH2 · Issue #1899 · openhab/openhab-core · GitHub

1 Like

Thank you so much for the link! I will follow the topic on GitHub.

I Alredy wrote a python script that requests every single item and times the request so I can see if there’s any item that takes longer than usual.
I found that some users have problems with amazon echo binding items:

That is not the case for me though as I don’t have this specific binding.

Hi Bob,
what are your page loading times now? I am facing loading times of up to 10 seconds when switching pages. So going from the overview page to lets say the lightning page is not smooth.
Thanks for your feedback
Marco

Hi Marco,

unfortunately that’s the case for me, too. I use more and more popup pages on my overview instead of switching to a new page, that made it better for me.

But it is limited for sure…

Hi Bob, so you can use a page in a pop up? On the overview page I use label cells:

- component: oh-label-cell
            config:
              action: navigate
              actionPage: page:page_lichter
              title: Lichter
              expandable: false
              icon: =(items.gLicht.state == 'ON')?'oh:light-on':'oh:light-off'
              label: =(items.gLichterAn.state)
              footer: Lichter an

I am wondering how it works with the popups.
Thanks
Marco

Quick question, since I keep having the same problem (and the issue below got fixed in the meantime, which did not solve it): Have you fixed the problem on your end?

Hi, I upgraded to a raspberry 4 and the issue doesn’t show there, at least with my number of items.
On the rpi3 I couldn’t find a real solution, I guess it was just too much?

Hmm, I thought about this as well. What makes me reluctant of trying the Raspi4-fix:

• If I remember correctly the problem did not become bigger over time (which would speak for a gradually overloaded Raspi 3)…
  • … and, even assuming the Raspi 4 would be, say, four times as fast (which it isn‘t), I‘d still be looking at x seconds loading time (which would still be a lot)?

What were your „before and after“ loading times?

I can only give you my current loading times which is 5s for 768 items. On my old installation I deleted most of the items so I can’t replicate that there.
But I’d say for me the same setup would have been 30s plus on my old rpi!

Thanks.

Found a solution (most likely) here. Probably a RAM/SWAP-problem.

1 Like