openHAB 2.3 has been released!

still not getting mqtt messages ?

1 Like

Had the same problem, but remembered that me and others previously have had problems with the mqtt action interfering in some way. When I uninstalled it (had it installed via paperui) the mqtt binding immediately started to work. Then I could reinstall the mqtt action.

1 Like

got it working thank you

Where did you find this information?
I did not see this in the Release notes.
Thanks in advance.

Hi,

just posting my “update-experience” to v2.3.
Using a Raspi (2 Model B rev 1.1) with openhabian and not knowing there was an openhabian update,
I executed an “sudo apt-get update & upgrade” yesterday with a succeding “sudo reboot”.
In the process I kept my old config files, when asked if I wanted to replace them with the “updated” ones.
Afterwards openhab2 was runnning, but PaperUI, Android and iOS App would show nothing. The log viewer stopped with the timestamp of the update and would not show anything “new”. Neither did the log files accessed through ssh on the Raspi.
Reading about the new release and this thread helped me out.
First i tried the “openhabian-config” update and repeated the “release update”, this did not help.
Then I looked for “wifiled” - not installed in the first time.
And finally the problem solver for me:

tlc posted:

After it I could reach PaperUI, etc. again.

I noticed that my FritzDect 200 (switchable wall socket with temperature and usage) has problems with the new “unit” conversion. PaperUI screenshot below.

Entry in the logs:
2018-05-31 09:20:17.151 [WARN ] [ui.internal.items.ItemUIRegistryImpl] - Exception while formatting value ‘27.5’ of item FD_temp with format ‘%.1f %unit%’: Conversion = ‘u’

default.item:
Number FD_temp “FritzDect200_Temp” (gFD, gSmartPlug_others) { channel=“avmfritz:FRITZ_DECT_200:192___*:087610369753:temperature” }

Is there anything I can do to correct this or is this a “Binding” problem.

Thanks for further information.

Lots of Greetings
Eckart

I did run into it in a snapshot earlier this year. It was a unintended feature at first, so the transformation was just aligned with the documentation.

Hi Eckart,

Please change your item configuration according to the docs. You have to use e.g. Number:Temperature. I am pretty sure that will solve your problem.

Ok, so here is my expereince on this update.
I updated through apt-get upgrade, and all went well until I got the webpage saying that it was installing the UI, and that it would take a few minutes.
5 hours later I still get the same message, so I rebooted, but I would still get the same message.
After searching a bit I found that I needed to run the following:

This changed everything; now I get absolutely nothing. No web interface, no Karaf, nothing.

The service is running but it shows nothing in terms of webpages, and the logs are empty with nothing happening in there.

What should I do? Backup my configuration, remove the broken installation, and re-install? or is there a way to get the openHAB heart to beat again?

Thanks

Well well, I have got it to work again by downgrading to 2.2.0 with the following commands (in case anyone else come across this problem)

apt-get -y install openhab2=2.2.0-1 
apt-get -y install openhab2-addons=2.2.0-1 

now it is all back to how it was before the world started to crumble.
I will next try again the upgrade assuming that something might have gone wrong the first time.

Worst of cases I will revert and hope for a patch (assuming there is a bug).

careful! these 2 commands will also remove the subdirectories themselves (you do not want that)

To clear cache & tmp you need to remove the contents from within these 2 dirs

rm -fr /var/lib/openhab2/cache/*
rm -fr /var/lib/openhab2/tmp/*

in general: be very careful with rm -rf :slight_smile:

Try to upgrade again to OH 2.3, get some logs and open up a new thread to troubleshoot it. For sure it will work !

1 Like

Oh yes, thank you for that, that is an easy typo!

Good news, It now works with the latest release, however when I run “openhab-cli showlogs” I have just empty logs, which is strange,as I would at least expect the note of the service starting, and a connection error, which I expect because the corresponding device i currently turned off.

Has the log system changed in any way?

Oh, and although the UI works, none of the rules seems to work anymore.

I saw some commits regarding MQTT (internal broker?) but nothing is mentioned in the change log / blog. Is there something new already in which is usable?

Check the permissions on /var/log/openhab2 and make sure the openhab user has permission to read/write to it. I ran into something like that at some point but wasn’t sure the cause and haven’t had a chance to look into it any further.

Thank you, that is a lot better.

I ended up just deleting the byte logs and restarted openHAB, and that fixed it.
Now I have tons of errors to look and figure out what is going wrong with the rules, GPIO and serials.
The MQTT part works fine though.

Hi Christoph,

thanks for your help.
It did solve half of the problem, the other half was solved by removing the Fritzdect from “Things” in the PaperUI and then adding it again.

Thanks a lot!

Eckart

For some reason, a rule does not work as expected anymore. Until OH 2.2 / KNX 1 it worked as intended, since OH 2.3 / KNX 2. the rules fire EVERY TIME the respective cron jobs fire. They ignore the check for the current position of the rollershutters, which worked flawlessly before. So every 15 minutes I am receiving the info that “Beschattung” is on

When trying to write the position of the rollershutter to the log, it reports a correct 85%.

Any ideas would be welcome

// Beschattung OST

rule "Shutter EAST set to ON to 85% when Outside Temp above 23 Grad and Shutter Auto set to ON"
when
	Time cron "0 0/15 6-12 * * ?"
then
	if (RL_Kueche_Ost.state != 85 && (Temperature_Aussen_Sued.state as DecimalType).floatValue >= 23 && (Beschattung_Automatik.state == ON)) {
		Beschattung_Ost.postUpdate (ON)
		sendTelegram("bot1","Beschattung OST am "+ Date.state.format("%1$td.%1$tm.%1$tY") +" um " + Date.state.format("%1$tH:%1$tM") + " aktiviert")
		}
end

// Beschattung SUED

rule "Shutter SOUTH set to ON to 85% when Outside Temp above 23 Grad and Shutter Auto set to ON"
when
	Time cron "0 0/15 10-17 * * ?"
then
	if (RL_WoZi_Sued.state != 85 && (Temperature_Aussen_Sued.state as DecimalType).floatValue >= 23 && (Beschattung_Automatik.state == ON)) {
		Beschattung_Sued.postUpdate (ON)
		sendTelegram("bot1","Beschattung SÜD am "+ Date.state.format("%1$td.%1$tm.%1$tY") +" um " + Date.state.format("%1$tH:%1$tM") + " aktiviert")
		}
end

// Beschattung West

rule "Shutter WEST to 85% when Outside Temp above 23 Grad and Shutter Auto set to ON"
when
	Time cron "0 0/15 14-18 * * ?"
then
	if (RL_Zimmer_West_West.state != 85 && (Temperature_Aussen_Sued.state as DecimalType).floatValue >= 23 && (Beschattung_Automatik.state == ON)) {
		Beschattung_West.postUpdate (ON)
		sendTelegram("bot1","Beschattung WEST am "+ Date.state.format("%1$td.%1$tm.%1$tY") +" um " + Date.state.format("%1$tH:%1$tM") + " aktiviert")
		}
end

what does the console report for the value of the state of item RL_WoZi_Sued?

Enter in the console
type: items list |grep RL_WoZi_Sued

Did you migrate your configs to *.things & *.items files or used PaperUI for KNX2?

It’s better to open up a new thread to troubleshoot this (not to spam this announcement thread)

Hi,

First of all, I’d like to thank you maintainers once more for all the work and effort and work which went into 2.3.
After reading some issues people seem to have after the upgrade, I’d like to quickly share that the upgrade process (Openhabian-Config) went extreemly smoothly for me.
I didn’t have to change anything in my Item configurations (i.e. Number:Temperature) and rules, etc are working like before.

great job!!
Kurt

3 Likes

ok, I’ll do so