Ring Alarm Components - Zwave

Thank you, Bob.
I will do my best to figure the process out :slight_smile:

I have created the two new devices from the XML (Gen2 Motion and Gen2 Window/Door).
As far as I can see mine are a little newer than the existing ones:
Reference type:

0301:0401 instead of 0301:0301 (Motion)
0201:0401 instead of 0201:0301 (door/window)

I requested this to be reviewed and hope that it’s ok.

I’ll leave to @chris for the formal review, but to my eye I see no difference in the parameters (actually some appear missing for the Window/Door) or association classes or channels between what you added and what was existing for Gen2. All you had to do was

to the existing devices.

Bob

Yes, but because that was my first time, I did it the recommended way (according to the docs) and added the xml file.

The Docs also have this snippet…

If you have a different version of a device in the database, before adding another entry to the database, check that the association group configuration, parameters, and channels are the same. If they are, then it is only needed to update the device IDs of the existing device.

Anyway I’m sure it will get sorted.

Bob

1 Like

Fair enough.
Maybe I was just too anxious to damage something. :rofl:
Again, thanks for your help, Bob.

I had a look at these entries this morning. If they are the same as the old device, then you should add the Type/Id to the existing device. If they are new devices (ie different to the old device) then the new entries you’ve made need to have the associations and config parameters adding.

Thanks, Chris.
I just added the Type / Reference to the existing ones (both Motion and Contact), because mine are Gen 2 and are promoted as Gen2 sensors as well (just newer obviously).
Let’s keep fingers crossed that I don’t mess something up :wink:

I wouldn’t say “obviously”… Manufacturers sometimes use different types/ids to represent minor changes to the product - eg different regions is a common one. Less common (but I’ve seen it) is different colours…

Who knows - anyway, let’s give it a go :slight_smile:

Do I assume that the other entries you made in the database can be “removed” (I’ll mark them as deleted and we can undelete them if needed)?

Fair enough :wink:
At least they look the same and are promoted by Amazon by the same name.
So at least they are compatible to the original ring GEN 2 stuff.

Yes, please!
Thank you very much for your quick support, Chris.

I have removed the two gen 2 sensors, re-included them (recognition seems to be ok).

Unfortunately I do see 4 channels each, but non of these are firing:

I am using the SNAPSHOT 3.3.0.202205220348

Since you included again, is the device fully configured? Do you have an XML file for the node in the userdata/zwave folder and five lines on the UI page?
Five Lines of configured node
Bob

For Node 36 (Motion Gen2) both is true.
For Node 35 (Contact Gen2) I don’t have an xml in place and “Reinitialize” is missing.

EDIT:
I wonder what this means:
9: Motion Detection Mode
There is no documentation about this parameter.

EDIT II:
The network map does none of both.

It is common for the channels to not begin to “fire” until fully initialized. Based on your post, Node 36 is fully initialized (and should be working), but node 35 will still need to be awakened until XML/Reinitialize appear.

The network map is not a problem. Once initialized you can heal the device and they will appear in the map. You could heal 36 now, but not 35.

I see the motion detection mode in the device DB and manual, but not sure what it means either. The default is 3, min is 0 and max is 4.

Bob

edit: If 36 is still not working, try to change parameter 2 to 5, from 1. That will increase the number of retries, (Maybe communication with the controller is not working?) Also the “heal” may help 36 with additional routes.

I did an it appeared in the network map.
So far so good. :wink:

I will try you other suggestions.

Thanks for your help, Bob!

I think that shouldn’t be a problem. The 26 is now (after a heal) directly connected to the controler:

One more question:
I am using this USB stick since 2015:
Z-Wave USB Stick (ZMEEUZB1)

Is it possible that this is the culprit and outdated?
Should I get a Aeotec AEOEZW090-C Aeon Labs USB Stick instead?

If I start from scratch: Does it make a difference if I exclude all devices or set them back to factory settings?

EDIT I:
The parameters listed here are not matching those in my thing config (some are mixed up):
manuals-backend.z-wave.info/make.php?lang=en&sku=Motion Detector v2&cert=ZC12-20050057

e.g. Motion Detection Mode is 8 (and 9 on my thing - which is the same like in the official manual)

EDIT II:
There was obviously an issue with the earlier version, but this should be fixed (Supervisory report timeout):
Ring 2nd Gen Motion Sensor - Off-Topic - openHAB Community
@William.Kenny
Why was this changed to 1 Byte? - the manual mentions 2 Byte ?
I have issues with the Motion Sensor as well.
What is the name of the channel reporting correctly the Motion in your case?

I’m assuming you mean 36. Anyway the map only represents neighbors found during the Heal process, not the actual routing. Of some concern are the two dead nodes 3 & 6 those should be removed. Here is a link to a recent post that might help.

What you should try next (re; Node 36) is to put the zwave binding in Debug and try to trigger the motion sensor and see what info (if any) is revealed. Move it closer to the controller for a while.

There is a next to nothing chance (IMO) it is the controller since it appears other devices are working.

If you do start over, it is best to use the Controller UI page to “exclude devices”. If you just reset the device, it will still be in the zstick memory. Then you will need to reset that to factory. The exclude devices takes care of both.

I’d stick with the official manual.

Bob

Indeed - sorry

I deactivated them on purpose (some wallplugs lying around without use yet).
You mean that’s not how it supposed to be?

Will do - thanks.

I will check also the debug mode.

Thank you for your patience.

I did this in the past as well (removed Nodes with Silabs).
One question though.
After that and deleting the node, I still found an XML in the z-wave directory.
Is this potentially confusing the system or is this just a harmless relict?

EDIT:
Here is the result of a restart for Node 1 and Node 36.
I opened the case (tamper alarm?) at 7:37, but nothing was reported.

I believe it is harmless, but probably should be deleted. When devices are removed by “exclude Devices” on the UI Controller page (those still powered) the xml is deleted. You will have to factory reset the device, before (if) you plan on including in the future.

As to the debug log, it is hard to tell anything except Zwave communication is very slow (Red times- should be like 25ms). I have devices that can restore to “DONE” from a restart in 0.5 - 1.5 seconds. Node 36 took edit (i don’t know what I was looking at) it was 3 minutes.** and seemed to be repeating messages. Can you post the raw, unfiltered debug file?

Bob

edit #2 I guess I’m still not awake. What also is missing is the application handler update. Se below;
dynamic values
So the device is Acking, but not sending the data.