[SOLVED] Home Energy Meter HEM G3 AEON Labs GEN5 ZW095 do not report automatically

I don’t have this device but would set 101 to 16128 to report watt and kwh for all three clamps.

Ok I try. I have set 15 that is the sum for KWH, Wall, Voltage and Current for total HEM. I try to set 592128‬ that is all for clamp 1 (my version is with only for one clamp).
I test that and reply you.

I have try to set parameter 101 to 15 and configure channel generic but the system doesn’t send update.
I have try to set parameter 101 to 592128 and configure all clamp 1 but the system doesn’t send update.
I have try to set parameter 101 to 2368512 and configure all clamp 3 but the system doesn’t send update.
It’s works only if I set up the rule can send refresh with crontab.
How I can help you to debug this problem?

• In Habmin, do the config params that you’ve updated should as pending? Pressing the button helps.
  • Did you include the device while it was plugged in or on battery power? I remember something in the manual about this setting how the device behaves and if you are planning to use it powered, to include it while plugged in. The device needs to be reset (an exclusion may do it) in order to change this. IIRC, the minimum reporting interval is something like 5 minutes if included while under battery power.
  • Have you tried powering off the device, pressing the button and then powering it up? This reportedly makes the device reread it’s parameters and it has worked for me with DSB09s (check the comments here).
  • Could you please summarize all of your config params?
  • To really dig into it, turn on debug logging and change the config params to see if the device is accepting the changes.

Hi @5iver,
in habmin I have waited the green feedback for the config paramteres.
I have include the device when it is plugged in 220Vac. I don’t have read anything about the internal battery…But if works in battery mode the device doesn’t report never (instead 5 minutes). For security, I have reset and re-include the device but the problem is the same…doesn’t send data if not interrogated.
For this step, I have configured only watts: I have configured parameter 101 at 256, 102 at 512 and 103 at 1014.
In debug mode I have see that the device not accept 512 ad 1024 (because I suppose that my device is with only one clamp).
In fact, if I set 256 I have this in debug mode:

2019-08-17 10:28:23.511 [DEBUG] [ding.zwave.handler.ZWaveThingHandler] - NODE 3: Configuration update received
2019-08-17 10:28:23.519 [DEBUG] [ding.zwave.handler.ZWaveThingHandler] - NODE 3: Configuration update set config_101_4 to 256 (BigDecimal)

2019-08-17 10:28:23.707 [DEBUG] [ding.zwave.handler.ZWaveThingHandler] - NODE 3: Update CONFIGURATION 101/4 to 256
2019-08-17 10:28:23.710 [DEBUG] [nal.protocol.ZWaveTransactionManager] - NODE 3: Commands processed 1.

If I set 512 (or 1024) I have:

2019-08-17 10:31:55.001 [DEBUG] [ding.zwave.handler.ZWaveThingHandler] - NODE 3: Configuration update received
2019-08-17 10:31:55.017 [DEBUG] [ding.zwave.handler.ZWaveThingHandler] - NODE 3: Configuration update set config_102_4 to 512 (BigDecimal)

2019-08-17 10:31:55.222 [DEBUG] [ding.zwave.handler.ZWaveThingHandler] - NODE 3: Update CONFIGURATION 102/4 to 0
2019-08-17 10:31:55.224 [DEBUG] [nal.protocol.ZWaveTransactionManager] - NODE 3: Commands processed 1.

This is a screenshot of parameters:

PS: if I click on refresh in habmin description,

The value of clamp1 is update:

2019-08-17 13:57:15.045 [ome.event.ItemCommandEvent] - Item ‘ZWaveNode003ZW095HomeEnergyMeterGen5_ElectricMeterWatts3’ received command REFRESH
2019-08-17 13:57:15.085 [ome.event.ItemCommandEvent] - Item ‘ElectricMeterWatts’ received command REFRESH
2019-08-17 13:57:15.109 [ome.event.ItemCommandEvent] - Item ‘ZWaveNode003ZW095HomeEnergyMeterGen5_ElectricMeterWatts2’ received command REFRESH
2019-08-17 13:57:15.126 [ome.event.ItemCommandEvent] - Item ‘ZWaveNode003ZW095HomeEnergyMeterGen5_ElectricMeterWatts’ received command REFRESH
2019-08-17 13:57:15.355 [vent.ItemStateChangedEvent] - ZWaveNode003ZW095HomeEnergyMeterGen5_ElectricMeterWatts changed from NULL to 200.118
2019-08-17 13:57:15.447 [vent.ItemStateChangedEvent] - ElectricMeterWatts changed from 165.61 to 200.118

I could be wrong, but your logs look like just the outgoing messages. There should also be an incoming configuration report from the device. But if you don’t have the yellow/orange “pending” message, then these should have come in.

Could you post the rest of your configuration parameters? There are 2-11, 13, 101-103, 111-113, 252, and 255. I’m particularly interested in 3 and any thresholds that you’ve set.

Could you delete the association, save, add the association, and save, all while logging? If the association is not getting set, then you will not get any reports.

Also, if you only have the one clamp, I would clear out any of the reports for the others.

Have you tried setting config param 255 to reset all settings? I don’t recall if the association needs to be reset after doing this.

Hello @5iver,
this is the entire log when I change the parameters of device:
https://nopaste.xyz/?b384dc1dd3ce70f2#F0Uq3wCbb0jZ4Qfji1JTXKlIqz0P5DIid3vMAHof+IM=
This is the screenshoot of the rest for the configuration parameters:

Tomorrow I try to delete and reassociate the device.
Now I have clean clamp 2 and clamp 3 and I set the parameters only for clamp 1.
I hope good news will follow.
PS. I try to set parameters 3 at 1 but the works mode doesn’t change.

Good… you are receiving these…

Received COMMAND_CLASS_CONFIGURATION V1 CONFIGURATIONCMD_REPORT

… so the device is communicating and updating the configs. The device must recognize that you only have the one clamp, so config_102_4 and config_103_4 are coming back as zeros when they are being set.

Your other configuration parameters look good to me, so I suspect the association is not set. Just delete the current association to the controller, save the Thing, then add the controller back in and save. No need to delete the Thing or reinclude the device for the associations, but resetting and reincluding the device would be the next thing to try after resetting the association.

Hi @5iver,
I have delete the current association to the controller and add controller back, but nothing has changed.
I have press, from habmin, reinitialize the device…
In the openhab log I have three of this message (together at lot of messages):

NODE 3: No data from device, but it was ACK’d. Possibly not supported? (Try 3)

it is perhaps a version not yet supported?
This is a screen of attributes

Do you mean you set parameter 255?

No… that is in the database. I think it’s time to exclude, hard reset, and reinclude the device.

Yes, I have set paramater 255 and exclude, reset and reinclude the device.

OK, for hard reset do you mean this:

Thanks for support

No, I meant to reset the monitor. Check the manual, but for mine, you power it off, hold the button, plug it in, and keep holding the button for 10s or until the LED starts blinking.

You are very welcome. Hopefully, we can get your device reporting!

I have already execute this procedure, but without turn off the power. I try with turn off the power but on manual there isn’t reference to turn off.

News will follow with complete log of new inclusion

Hello @5iver,
I have execute the procedure with turn off the power…
I have clean the UZB, clean zwave section of openhab and reinclude the device…
The device doesn’t send voluntarily the value.
This is entire log:
https://nopaste.xyz/?92bd99b4593c9307#uCtjOqfbhilG8W2Z2gXHkm5moJ/yjpLUJ9fBNEeaOpI=
You can view the new parameters in the next screenshot:

This log is password protected. Your settings all look good and your log showed that they were being set. I don’t recall seeing a log with the association being cleared and reset though.

Hi @5iver, i have clean openhab2 with a new installation and I have clean the UZB with Z-Wave PC Controller 5.
For now I settled for the refresh via rules evey 5 seconds.
Thanks

I’ll add my own experience here, nothing new but maybe worthwhile to summarize for someone who’s thinking about getting this device or just wants a quick resolution:

• It’s not possible to set correct associations with the current Z-Wave stable or snapshot versions -> automatic reporting does not work out of the box.
  • Polling does work, so it is possible to get new values every X seconds/minutes using a rule - you won’t get all the benefits of reporting though.
  • The associations can be set through a software called Z-Wave PC Controller. I’m confused about where to download this officially, but unofficial source is mentioned here.

It was a bit scary doing this without really knowing what I was doing, but I got it working by following the instructions from Austris_V. Newer version of the program looks different, but the same options are there.

Other than that the HEM has been working great (for 30 hours at least…) and it has good options for finetuning the reports. Hopefully whatever needs to happen to get the associations working without 3rd party software happens, but unfortunately my knowledge on this area is not enough to further that cause. :frowning:

1 Like

I’ve not read through this thread, but can you summarise what the issue is please? What is stopping the associations being set? Can you provide a debug log showing the problem?

Since it looks like this device is a ZWave+ device, the binding should set the lifeline association group automatically during the initialisation of the device - if this isn’t working it would be great to see the debug log so it can be resolved.

Thanks.

Setting association group 3 to “Controller”:

19:15:05.255 [DEBUG] [nding.zwave.handler.ZWaveThingHandler] - NODE 8: Configuration update received
19:15:05.274 [DEBUG] [nding.zwave.handler.ZWaveThingHandler] - NODE 8: Configuration update set group_3 to [controller] (ArrayList)
19:15:05.283 [DEBUG] [nding.zwave.handler.ZWaveThingHandler] - NODE 8: Association 3 consolidated to [controller]
19:15:05.297 [DEBUG] [nding.zwave.handler.ZWaveThingHandler] - NODE 8: Unknown association group 3

Habmin gives no errors.

I have the whole openhab.log from starting the binding and creating the .xml file for the node if you need that too. Just let me know how I can deliver it (no idea if it contains sensitive information or not and it’s too long to check).

I couldn’t be 100% sure of the reason here without seeing the log, but basically it means that this association group wasn’t discovered in the device during the initialisation. This error generally means that the initialisation is not 100% complete and it has not found this association group, but it might also be that the device doesn’t actually support this group.

That said, this is a ZWave+ device - normally only the Lifeline group (association group 1) is required to be set to the controller.

Looking at the engineering manual, it says there is only 1 association group anyway, which would explain this error. It then means that the database is incorrect.

So, I don’t think that this error you see in the log is a problem as this association group doesn’t actually exist it seems. The question still is if the lifeline association group is working. V2.5 of the binding should set that automatically and it should not be possible to remove it so it would be good to see the log with the full initialisation if possible.