Solved: Upgrade from OH3 to OH4 fails on Bullseye (openHAB not starting)

Upgrade from Openhabian point release 3.4.5 failed.

• I had been on Raspi with Buster, long standing system (Openhabian), did a manual apt upgrade as usual and bricked my installation as automatic upgrade to 4.0 was performed yet underlying Java upgrade failed.
  • Installed openhabian from openhabian-pi-raspios32-202212201337 to migrate from Buster to Bullseye
  • Restored 3.4 backup from previous installation - everything works.
  • openhabian-config: 00 shows openHABian Configuration Tool — [openHAB]{2023-08-02T17:18:05+02:00}(f75ae77) openHAB 3.4.5 - Release Build
  • openhabian-config: 01, choose “Release” branch
  • openhabian-config: 03, install openhab
  • Java 17 upgrade succeeded
  • “Openhab Software Change → Continue”
  • There was an error or interruption during the execution of: “03 | Install openHAB”
  • Setting debug to maximum renders an output where I believe this is the relevant section:
+ apt-get install --allow-downgrades --yes -o DPkg::Lock::Timeout= --option Dpkg::Options::=--force-confnew openhab= openhab-addons=
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
Reading state information... Done
E: Version '' for 'openhab' was not found
E: Version '' for 'openhab-addons' was not found
+ return 100
+ echo FAILED
FAILED

I did not do a manual apt update & upgrade, which would be my natural next impulse, rather I welcome any guidance on locating and addressing the root cause. Thank you so much

Peter
P.S.: Platform is a Raspi 3B

1 Like

Upgrade to OpenHAB 4 also fails using option 41 of openhabian-config:

I continued with the following steps:

• I used menu option 41 to update to version 4, which worked without error
  • I then used menu option 20 to upgrade everything
  • Did a reboot

I can still ssh to the Raspi, however the server website is not reachable. The log file shows that something is wrong…

cat /var/log/openhab/openhab.log
2023-08-06 15:50:57.231 [ERROR] [Events.Framework                    ] - FrameworkEvent ERROR
org.osgi.framework.BundleException: Could not resolve module: org.eclipse.xtext [135]
  Unresolved requirement: Require-Bundle: org.objectweb.asm; bundle-version="[9.4.0,9.5.0)"; resolution:="optional"
  Unresolved requirement: Require-Bundle: org.eclipse.emf.mwe.core; bundle-version="1.3.21"; visibility:="reexport"; resolution:="optional"
  Unresolved requirement: Require-Bundle: org.eclipse.emf.mwe.utils; bundle-version="1.3.21"; visibility:="reexport"; resolution:="optional"
  Unresolved requirement: Require-Bundle: org.eclipse.xtend; bundle-version="2.2.0"; resolution:="optional"
  Unresolved requirement: Require-Bundle: org.eclipse.xtend.typesystem.emf; bundle-version="2.2.0"; resolution:="optional"
  Unresolved requirement: Require-Bundle: org.eclipse.xtext.util; visibility:="reexport"

at org.eclipse.osgi.container.Module.start(Module.java:463) ~[org.eclipse.osgi-3.18.0.jar:?]
        at org.eclipse.osgi.container.ModuleContainer$ContainerStartLevel$2.run(ModuleContainer.java:1847) ~[org.eclipse.osgi-3.18.0.jar:?]
        at org.eclipse.osgi.internal.framework.EquinoxContainerAdaptor$1$1.execute(EquinoxContainerAdaptor.java:136) ~[org.eclipse.osgi-3.18.0.jar:?]
        at org.eclipse.osgi.container.ModuleContainer$ContainerStartLevel.incStartLevel(ModuleContainer.java:1840) ~[org.eclipse.osgi-3.18.0.jar:?]
        at org.eclipse.osgi.container.ModuleContainer$ContainerStartLevel.incStartLevel(ModuleContainer.java:1781) ~[org.eclipse.osgi-3.18.0.jar:?]
        at org.eclipse.osgi.container.ModuleContainer$ContainerStartLevel.doContainerStartLevel(ModuleContainer.java:1745) ~[org.eclipse.osgi-3.18.0.jar:?]
        at org.eclipse.osgi.container.ModuleContainer$ContainerStartLevel.dispatchEvent(ModuleContainer.java:1667) ~[org.eclipse.osgi-3.18.0.jar:?]
        at org.eclipse.osgi.container.ModuleContainer$ContainerStartLevel.dispatchEvent(ModuleContainer.java:1) ~[org.eclipse.osgi-3.18.0.jar:?]
        at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.eventmgr.EventManager.dispatchEvent(EventManager.java:234) ~[org.eclipse.osgi-3.18.0.jar:?]
        at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.eventmgr.EventManager$EventThread.run(EventManager.java:345) ~[org.eclipse.osgi-3.18.0.jar:?]

I am not clear how I should do the upgrade nor how I can continue with OpenHAB 3.4.5 in a stable manner, as apt will automatically install OpenHAB 4. I believe I can fix the version somehow to 3.4.5 but didn’t investigate. I’d rather fix version 4…

1 Like

You’re not the first to hit this but the docs clearly state that buster is outdated and a prerequisite to running openHABian is to be on bullseye.

Why when there’s 1.8.

On a sidenote, you have an issue with the upgrade process but that isn’t what the thread you posted to is about so I moved it.

No it wasn’t 20. 02? 03?

Check out openHAB 4 migration FAQ

Hi Markus,

thank you for you quick reply!

You are right, only it had not been my intent to upgrade to OH4 at all. I was running my long time reliable Openhabian installation which was still on Debian 10 (basis for Openhabian when it was first installed). I merely did “apt update” and “apt upgrade” to maintain my installation, didn’t expect I would get an upgrade to OH4.

Thanks for pointing to the FAQ, I hadn’t seen that before. I found several statements that backups can only be restored to the same version they had been issued with. So I assumed that I would need to install a 3.4 release first in order to restore from the OH 3.4 backup. I see in the FAQ that there is another way and the current Openhabian release is able to restore an OH3 backup. Thank you for the clarification.

Still, I succeeded in restoring OH 3.4.5 based on the Openhabian point release with everything working, but now based on Debian 11. I had assumed I could upgrade from there via the menu options to OH4.

Of course, I am sorry, the options for upgrading from that situation that I tried were:

• 03 (Java 17 succeeded, upgrade failed due to version being empty)
  • 41 (worked without error)
  • 02 (not 20) to update everything

Then Openhab doesn’t start due to the quoted Java error.

I will try the path recommended in the FAQ starting with the 1.8 image right away with using 3.4. backup. Thank you!

Well. The menu text of 02 says
02 | Upgrade System Update all installed software packages (incl. openHAB) to their latest version
so what else did you expect.

This ( upgrade to OH4 ) through apt upgrade happened because OH4 recently was made stable release.

I am sorry, no offense meant. I appreciate the terrific work you are providing and am very thankful. I was just trying to explain my reasoning, hoping it might help others. I regurlarly use ‘apt upgrade’ to maintain security and did not expect a breaking change, but could have looked at the package list up for upgrade. This can be accomplished with:

apt list --upgradable

Thank you for the clarification. Since I cannot accomplish the upgrade to OH4 yet (as discussed below), meanwhile I use apt-mark to lock the openHAB version to 3:

sudo apt-mark hold openhab openhab-addons

Holds can be shown with

apt-mark hold showholds

Without holding any packages I have followed the FAQ instructions in order to try migrating from OH 3.4.5. to 4.0.1 (openHAB 4 migration FAQ):

• Latest openHABian release with change in openhabian.conf, backup as initial.zip, additional change : remove comment in the line where initial.zip is specified.
  • Everything is great, I (again) have a running OH3 instance (3.4.5) based on Bullseye and openHABian 1.8. So I have successfully moved from Debian 10 to Debian 11 using the FAQ instructions maintaining my site’s functionality. However the subsequent upgrade to OH4 fails:

results in the same error I had before (‘maximum’ debug output ):

2023-08-06_19:22:05_CEST [openHABian] Adding required keys to apt... OK
2023-08-06_19:22:05_CEST [openHABian] Installing selected openHAB version...
$ apt-get update
Hit:1 http://davesteele.github.io/comitup/repo comitup InRelease
Hit:2 http://archive.raspberrypi.org/debian bullseye InRelease
Hit:3 http://raspbian.raspberrypi.org/raspbian bullseye InRelease
Hit:4 https://deb.nodesource.com/node_18.x bullseye InRelease

$ apt-get install --allow-downgrades --yes -o DPkg::Lock::Timeout= --option Dpkg::Options::=--force-confnew openhab= openhab-addons=
Building dependency tree... Done
Reading state information... Done
E: Version '' for 'openhab' was not found
E: Version '' for 'openhab-addons' was not found
FAILED

It instructs apt to install “openhab” and “openhab-addons” each with an empty version information "= ".

So instead, I tried option 40->41, the config script claims that I am now running the stable version. The same apt-get install line is called but now the versions are specified:

$ apt-get install --allow-downgrades --yes -o DPkg::Lock::Timeout= --option Dpkg::Options::=--force-confnew openhab=4.0.1-1 openhab-addons=4.0.1-1

However: frontail / openhab.log show errors, the webserver is down, OH does not function anymore. There are several similar errors, this is the first:

2023-08-06 19:59:52.281 [ERROR] [Events.Framework                    ] - FrameworkEvent ERROR

org.osgi.framework.BundleException: Could not resolve module: org.apache.cxf.cxf-core [66]

Unresolved requirement: Import-Package: com.sun.msv.grammar; version="[2013.6.0,2014.0.0)"; resolution:="optional"

Unresolved requirement: Import-Package: com.sun.msv.grammar.xmlschema; version="[2013.6.0,2014.0.0)"; resolution:="optional"

Unresolved requirement: Import-Package: com.sun.msv.reader; version="[2013.6.0,2014.0.0)"; resolution:="optional"

Unresolved requirement: Import-Package: com.sun.msv.reader.xmlschema; version="[2013.6.0,2014.0.0)"; resolution:="optional"

Unresolved requirement: Import-Package: com.sun.tools.internal.xjc.api; resolution:="optional"

Unresolved requirement: Import-Package: com.sun.xml.internal.messaging.saaj.soap; resolution:="optional"

Unresolved requirement: Import-Package: com.sun.xml.messaging.saaj.soap; resolution:="optional"

Unresolved requirement: Import-Package: net.sf.cglib.proxy; version="[2.2.2,3.4.0)"; resolution:="optional"

Unresolved requirement: Import-Package: org.apache.aries.blueprint; version="[1.0.0,2.0.0)"; resolution:="optional"

Unresolved requirement: Import-Package: org.apache.aries.blueprint.mutable; version="[1.0.0,2.0.0)"; resolution:="optional"

Unresolved requirement: Import-Package: org.apache.aries.blueprint.services; version="[1.0.0,2.0.0)"; resolution:="optional"

Unresolved requirement: Import-Package: org.apache.ws.commons.schema; version="[2.2.0,3.0.0)"

Unresolved requirement: Import-Package: com.ctc.wstx.msv; version="[6.2.0,7.0.0)"; resolution:="optional"

-> Export-Package: com.ctc.wstx.msv; bundle-symbolic-name="com.fasterxml.woodstox.woodstox-core"; bundle-version="6.2.6"; version="6.2.6"; uses:="com.ctc.wstx.api,com.sun.msv.grammar,com.sun.msv.grammar.trex,com.sun.msv.grammar.xmlschema,com.sun.msv.reader,com.sun.msv.verifier,com.sun.msv.verifier.regexp,javax.xml.parsers,javax.xml.stream,javax.xml.transform,org.codehaus.stax2.validation,org.relaxng.datatype,org.xml.sax"

com.fasterxml.woodstox.woodstox-core [35]

Unresolved requirement: Import-Package: com.sun.msv.grammar; version="[2013.6.0,2014.0.0)"; resolution:="optional"

Unresolved requirement: Import-Package: com.sun.msv.grammar.trex; version="[2013.6.0,2014.0.0)"; resolution:="optional"

Unresolved requirement: Import-Package: com.sun.msv.grammar.xmlschema; version="[2013.6.0,2014.0.0)"; resolution:="optional"

Unresolved requirement: Import-Package: com.sun.msv.reader; version="[2013.6.0,2014.0.0)"; resolution:="optional"

Unresolved requirement: Import-Package: com.sun.msv.reader.trex.ng; version="[2013.6.0,2014.0.0)"; resolution:="optional"

Unresolved requirement: Import-Package: com.sun.msv.reader.util; version="[2013.6.0,2014.0.0)"; resolution:="optional"

Unresolved requirement: Import-Package: com.sun.msv.reader.xmlschema; version="[2013.6.0,2014.0.0)"; resolution:="optional"

Unresolved requirement: Import-Package: com.sun.msv.util; version="[2013.6.0,2014.0.0)"; resolution:="optional"

Unresolved requirement: Import-Package: com.sun.msv.verifier; version="[2013.6.0,2014.0.0)"; resolution:="optional"

Unresolved requirement: Import-Package: com.sun.msv.verifier.regexp; version="[2013.6.0,2014.0.0)"; resolution:="optional"

Unresolved requirement: Import-Package: com.sun.msv.verifier.regexp.xmlschema; version="[2013.6.0,2014.0.0)"; resolution:="optional"

Unresolved requirement: Import-Package: org.codehaus.stax2; version="[4.2.0,5.0.0)"

Unresolved requirement: Import-Package: com.ctc.wstx.stax; version="[6.2.0,7.0.0)"; resolution:="optional"

-> Export-Package: com.ctc.wstx.stax; bundle-symbolic-name="com.fasterxml.woodstox.woodstox-core"; bundle-version="6.2.6"; version="6.2.6"; uses:="com.ctc.wstx.api,com.ctc.wstx.cfg,com.ctc.wstx.dtd,com.ctc.wstx.io,com.ctc.wstx.sr,com.ctc.wstx.sw,com.ctc.wstx.util,javax.xml.namespace,javax.xml.stream,javax.xml.stream.events,javax.xml.stream.util,javax.xml.transform,org.codehaus.stax2,org.codehaus.stax2.ri"

Unresolved requirement: Import-Package: javax.xml.ws; version="[0.0.0,3.0.0)"

-> Export-Package: javax.xml.ws; bundle-symbolic-name="jakarta.xml.ws-api"; bundle-version="2.3.3"; version="2.3.3"; uses:="javax.xml.bind,javax.xml.bind.annotation,javax.xml.namespace,javax.xml.transform,javax.xml.ws.handler,javax.xml.ws.spi,javax.xml.ws.spi.http,org.w3c.dom"

jakarta.xml.ws-api [53]

Unresolved requirement: Import-Package: javax.xml.soap; version="[1.4.0,2.0.0)"

at org.eclipse.osgi.container.Module.start(Module.java:463) ~[org.eclipse.osgi-3.18.0.jar:?]

at org.eclipse.osgi.container.ModuleContainer$ContainerStartLevel$2.run(ModuleContainer.java:1847) ~[org.eclipse.osgi-3.18.0.jar:?]

at org.eclipse.osgi.internal.framework.EquinoxContainerAdaptor$1$1.execute(EquinoxContainerAdaptor.java:136) ~[org.eclipse.osgi-3.18.0.jar:?]

at org.eclipse.osgi.container.ModuleContainer$ContainerStartLevel.incStartLevel(ModuleContainer.java:1840) ~[org.eclipse.osgi-3.18.0.jar:?]

at org.eclipse.osgi.container.ModuleContainer$ContainerStartLevel.incStartLevel(ModuleContainer.java:1781) ~[org.eclipse.osgi-3.18.0.jar:?]

at org.eclipse.osgi.container.ModuleContainer$ContainerStartLevel.doContainerStartLevel(ModuleContainer.java:1745) ~[org.eclipse.osgi-3.18.0.jar:?]

at org.eclipse.osgi.container.ModuleContainer$ContainerStartLevel.dispatchEvent(ModuleContainer.java:1667) ~[org.eclipse.osgi-3.18.0.jar:?]

at org.eclipse.osgi.container.ModuleContainer$ContainerStartLevel.dispatchEvent(ModuleContainer.java:1) ~[org.eclipse.osgi-3.18.0.jar:?]

at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.eventmgr.EventManager.dispatchEvent(EventManager.java:234) ~[org.eclipse.osgi-3.18.0.jar:?]

at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.eventmgr.EventManager$EventThread.run(EventManager.java:345) ~[org.eclipse.osgi-3.18.0.jar:?]

SOLVED

I finally succeed in upgrading to OH4.

• Upgrading as proposed in the FAQ using menu option 03 did not work for me. It does not supply a version number and fails to install “openhab=” and “openhab-addons=” as discussed before
  • I used option 01 to chose the branch to latest, not release! (This apparantly did the trick.)
  • I then used option 40, 41 to “Install or switch to the latest openHAB Release”.

Now I didn’t get any errors. Note that I also had previously used

apt-mark hold openhab openhab-addons

Then used option 02 Upgrade System which upgrades all packages but not openhab, then

apt-mark unhold openhab openhab-addons

Now openHAB restartet without the above Java errors.

This topic was automatically closed 41 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.