openHAB 4 migration FAQ

Seeing many issues related to openHAB 4.0 migration, sometimes duplicated, I thought maybe it might help to create an overview of the different issues and their current status. Therefore I have compiled this initial FAQ based on observations.

Before upgrading, please read:

Index

Issues

openHABian upgrade failing due to Java upgrade

Symptom

Upgrade to 4.0 using openHABian doesn’t seem to work at all.
Debug level output will show complaints about unresolvable package dependencies on libc and other packages.

Mitigation

See openHABian 1.8 release - #2 by mstormi

Reinstalling openHABian on Raspberry

Thanks to @mstormi for these instructions:

• Get a new SD card (preferrably an “Endurance” labelled one) and keep the old one as your fallback
  • Run option 50 to create an OH config backup and copy it to some box of yours
  • Download and flash openHABian 1.8
  • Put the SD in your Windows system and open the first (only) partition. Edit openhabian.conf and set clonebranch=openHAB3. That should result in (latest) OH3 being installed.
  • Also put your backup zip file there, name it initial.zip. That’ll auto-import the config during install.
  • Now put the SD in the Raspi and turn it on. Let openHABian do its install magic.
  • When finally done, login and run openhabian-config menu option 03 to upgrade to OH4

References

TransformationService of type ‘JS’ is unavailable

Symptom

Warnings like these:

2023-07-29 01:28:17.161 [WARN ] [s.internal.SingleValueTransformation] - couldn’t transform response because transformationService of type ‘JS’ is unavailable

Mitigation

Install JavaScript Scripting add-on.

See also [OH4 StartUp WARN] The transformation add-on 'javascript' does not exist - ignoring it - #2 by rlkoshak

References

ScriptEngine for language ‘application/javascript’ not found

Symptom

Error like this logged:

[ERROR] [ipt.internal.ScriptEngineManagerImpl] - ScriptEngine for language ‘application/javascript’ could not be found for identifier: 6ee73f65-d669-421f-ae82-a239f467555b

Mitigation

Install JavaScript Scripting add-on.

References

Blockly rules not working: PolyglotException: ReferenceError

Symptom

Blocky rules are not working and errors like this logged:

2023-07-25 00:36:06.420 [ERROR] [b.automation.script.javascript.stack] - Failed to execute script:
org.graalvm.polyglot.PolyglotException: ReferenceError: "itemRegistry" is not defined
	at <js>.:program(<eval>:1) ~[?:?]
	at org.graalvm.polyglot.Context.eval(Context.java:399) ~[?:?]
	at com.oracle.truffle.js.scriptengine.GraalJSScriptEngine.eval(GraalJSScriptEngine.java:458) ~[?:?]
	at com.oracle.truffle.js.scriptengine.GraalJSScriptEngine.eval(GraalJSScriptEngine.java:426) ~[?:?]
	at javax.script.AbstractScriptEngine.eval(AbstractScriptEngine.java:262) ~[java.scripting:?]
	at org.openhab.automation.jsscripting.internal.scriptengine.DelegatingScriptEngineWithInvocableAndAutocloseable.eval(DelegatingScriptEngineWithInvocableAndAutocloseable.java:53) ~[?:?]
	at org.openhab.automation.jsscripting.internal.scriptengine.InvocationInterceptingScriptEngineWithInvocableAndAutoCloseable.eval(InvocationInterceptingScriptEngineWithInvocableAndAutoCloseable.java:78) ~[?:?]
	at org.openhab.automation.jsscripting.internal.scriptengine.DelegatingScriptEngineWithInvocableAndAutocloseable.eval(DelegatingScriptEngineWithInvocableAndAutocloseable.java:53) ~[?:?]
	at org.openhab.automation.jsscripting.internal.scriptengine.InvocationInterceptingScriptEngineWithInvocableAndAutoCloseable.eval(InvocationInterceptingScriptEngineWithInvocableAndAutoCloseable.java:78) ~[?:?]
	at org.openhab.core.automation.module.script.internal.handler.ScriptConditionHandler.isSatisfied(ScriptConditionHandler.java:54) ~[?:?]
	at org.openhab.core.automation.internal.RuleEngineImpl.calculateConditions(RuleEngineImpl.java:1158) ~[?:?]
	at org.openhab.core.automation.internal.RuleEngineImpl.runRule(RuleEngineImpl.java:995) ~[?:?]
	at org.openhab.core.automation.internal.TriggerHandlerCallbackImpl$TriggerData.run(TriggerHandlerCallbackImpl.java:87) ~[?:?]
	at java.util.concurrent.Executors$RunnableAdapter.call(Executors.java:539) ~[?:?]
	at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(FutureTask.java:264) ~[?:?]
	at java.util.concurrent.ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor$ScheduledFutureTask.run(ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor.java:304) ~[?:?]
	at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1136) ~[?:?]
	at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:635) ~[?:?]
	at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:833) ~[?:?]

Mitigation

See Rules Blockly | openHAB

References

High CPU usage

Symptom

High CPU usage after upgrading to 4.0.1, typically caused by one of these threads:

• upnp-main-queue
  • safeCall-queue

Example

top:

PID USER      PR  NI    VIRT    RES    SHR S  %CPU  %MEM     TIME+ COMMAND
11216 openhab   20   0 1318172 472096   4528 S 256.2  47.4   4740:45 java

top -H -p 11216:

PID USER      PR  NI    VIRT    RES    SHR S  %CPU  %MEM     TIME+ COMMAND
25409 openhab   20   0 1318172 471856   4528 R  99.7  47.4  93:36.83 upnp-main-queue
30546 openhab   20   0 1318172 471856   4528 R  99.7  47.4  15:19.09 safeCall-queue

Mitigation

Upgrade to 4.0.2

Background

This is a bug in openjdk 17. A bugfix has been made for the next openjdk 22 release:

It is yet unknown if this will be backported to jdk 17 - a request has been made:

but a contributor would need to provide such a backport.

Therefore a work-around has been made in openHA providing the Java 11 version of the class.

References

Channel types or config descriptions are missing in the respective registry

Symptom

Warnings like these:

2023-07-29 10:19:24.234 [WARN ] [core.thing.internal.ThingManagerImpl] - Channel types or config descriptions for thing 'smartmeter:meter:87e2db31cf' are missing in the respective registry for more than 120s. In case it does not happen immediately after an upgrade, it should be fixed in the binding.

Mitigation

1. Try to restart openHAB.
  2. If it still happens, try to recreate the thing.
  3. If it still happens, please create an issue in the openhab add-ons repository.

References

Rule does not trigger on Astro event

Symptom

Rule doesn’t trigger and channel cannot be selected in the UI.

Mitigation

Upgrade to 4.0.3.

For previous versions:

• As a work-around, file-based rules can be used since they are not impacted.
  • Another work around is to link the equivalent State Channel to a DateTime Item and use the Time is <Item> trigger for the rule. That works in the UI as well as file based.

References

Shelly: Incompatible units

Symptom

Warnings logged: cannot convert from “W” to “kWh”

Mitigation

There’s a bug in binding, please wait for a fix. It can be tracked here:

References

EnOcean: Handler EnOceanBridgeHandler tried updating the thing status although the handler was already disposed

Symptom

Binding doesn’t work, or at least doesn’t work reliably.

Logged:

2023-07-29 12:39:13.511 [INFO ] [ernal.transceiver.EnOceanTransceiver] - Transceiver shutdown
2023-07-29 12:39:13.513 [WARN ] [.core.thing.binding.BaseThingHandler] - Handler EnOceanBridgeHandler tried updating the thing status although the handler was already disposed.
2023-07-29 12:39:13.513 [WARN ] [erial.internal.SerialPortManagerImpl] - No SerialPortProvider found for: /dev/ttyAMA0
2023-07-29 12:39:13.514 [WARN ] [.core.thing.binding.BaseThingHandler] - Handler EnOceanBridgeHandler tried updating the thing status although the handler was already disposed.

and/or:

2023-07-29 12:55:05.365 [INFO ] [ab.event.ThingStatusInfoChangedEvent] - Thing 'enocean:bridge:f424041d7c' changed from OFFLINE (CONFIGURATION_ERROR): Port could not be found to OFFLINE (CONFIGURATION_PENDING): opening serial port...
2023-07-29 12:55:05.375 [INFO ] [ab.event.ThingStatusInfoChangedEvent] - Thing 'enocean:bridge:f424041d7c' changed from OFFLINE (CONFIGURATION_PENDING): opening serial port... to OFFLINE (CONFIGURATION_ERROR): Port could not be found
2023-07-29 12:56:05.380 [INFO ] [ab.event.ThingStatusInfoChangedEvent] - Thing 'enocean:bridge:f424041d7c' changed from OFFLINE (CONFIGURATION_ERROR): Port could not be found to OFFLINE (CONFIGURATION_PENDING): opening serial port...
2023-07-29 12:56:05.388 [INFO ] [ab.event.ThingStatusInfoChangedEvent] - Thing 'enocean:bridge:f424041d7c' changed from OFFLINE (CONFIGURATION_PENDING): opening serial port... to OFFLINE (CONFIGURATION_ERROR): Port could not be found
2023-07-29 12:57:05.392 [INFO ] [ab.event.ThingStatusInfoChangedEvent] - Thing 'enocean:bridge:f424041d7c' changed from OFFLINE (CONFIGURATION_ERROR): Port could not be found to OFFLINE (CONFIGURATION_PENDING): opening serial port...
2023-07-29 12:57:05.402 [INFO ] [ab.event.ThingStatusInfoChangedEvent] - Thing 'enocean:bridge:f424041d7c' changed from OFFLINE (CONFIGURATION_PENDING): opening serial port... to OFFLINE (CONFIGURATION_ERROR): Port could not be found

Mitigation

Upgrade to 4.0.2.

References

Deconz Conbee II stick not detected on Debian bullseye

Symptom

The conbee II isn’t detected in the Gateway.

As I (@stefan.hoehn) have a feeling that a lot of us are using the at Zigbee stick, there is actually a pitfall on the latest bullseye that breaks it finding the stick.

Mitigation

Patch like /usr/lib/udev/rules.d described here and change via

sudo nano /lib/systemd/system/deconz.service

the following line by adding your device at which the stick is connected to

ExecStart=/usr/bin/deCONZ -platform minimal --http-port=8070 --ws-port=8070 --dev=/dev/ttyACM0

Repeated ItemStateUpdatedEvent in logs

Symptom

Repeated logs of updated items without any value change:

2023-07-24 23:37:30.240 [INFO ] [openhab.event.ItemStateUpdatedEvent ] - Item 'Contact_VeluxRoom3' updated to CLOSED
2023-07-24 23:37:31.328 [INFO ] [openhab.event.ItemStateUpdatedEvent ] - Item 'Contact_VeluxRoom3' updated to CLOSED
2023-07-24 23:37:32.316 [INFO ] [openhab.event.ItemStateUpdatedEvent ] - Item 'Contact_VeluxRoom3' updated to CLOSED
2023-07-24 23:37:33.419 [INFO ] [openhab.event.ItemStateUpdatedEvent ] - Item 'Contact_VeluxRoom3' updated to CLOSED
2023-07-24 23:37:34.466 [INFO ] [openhab.event.ItemStateUpdatedEvent ] - Item 'Contact_VeluxRoom3' updated to CLOSED
2023-07-24 23:37:35.649 [INFO ] [openhab.event.ItemStateUpdatedEvent ] - Item 'Contact_VeluxRoom3' updated to CLOSED

Mitigation

Upgrade to 4.0.2

See also After upgrade to Openhab 4: a lot of "Item updated to" in the log - #3 by MathiasVDA

Restarts/sluggishness

Symptom

From time to time openHAB becomes slow and then ultimately restarts.

Mitigation

openHAB 4.0 and/or Java 17 seems to be using quite some more memory, and long-term openHABian users should adjust parameters as explained here:

Massive amount of logs/restart loop

Symptom

A huge amount of errors are logged and the system may restart over and over.

Example:

2023-08-16 15:42:28.512 [ERROR] [core.karaf.internal.FeatureInstaller] - Failed installing 'openhab-binding-modbus, openhab-binding-evcc, openhab-binding-mail, openhab-misc-openhabcloud, openhab-binding-smaenergymeter, openhab-automation-jsscripting, openhab-binding-shelly, openhab-persistence-rrd4j, openhab-transformation-map, openhab-ui-basic, openhab-binding-ipcamera, openhab-binding-ntp, openhab-binding-openweathermap, openhab-binding-astro, openhab-binding-homematic': Error:

Error downloading mvn:org.jupnp/org.jupnp/2.7.0

Mitigation

Make sure that no bindings for previous versions of openHAB (3.x) are installed, i.e. .kar/.jar files placed in the addons folder or installed via the Marketplace.

See Endless loop during start of OH4.0.2 service after upgrade from OH4.0.1

You are running a too old version of your Operating System

Symptom

Message from openHABian: “You are running a too old version of your Operating System”.

Mitigation

See openHABian 1.8 release - #2 by mstormi

Textual configuration files are not reloading

Symptom

Textual configuration files like .things and .sitemaps are not reloading after changes.

Mitigation

These fixes went into 4.0.3:

But there are still issues reported even after these fixes. This pull request contains a fix ready for testing and review than can hopefully be included in 4.0.4:

See All Things are gone after restarting openHAB - #28 by wborn

References

Forum reports:

GitHub issues:

29 Likes

Message during upgrade and later message if ignored are shown in this example:

Deconz Service doesn’t detect the Conbee II Stick on Debian Bullseye

Symptom

The conbee II isn’t detected in the Gateway

As I have a feeling that a lot of us are using the at Zigbee stick, there is actually pitfall on the latest bullseye that breaks it finding the stick.

Mitigation

Patch like /usr/lib/udev/rules.d described here and change via

sudo nano /lib/systemd/system/deconz.service

the following line by adding your device at which the stick is connected to

ExecStart=/usr/bin/deCONZ -platform minimal --http-port=8070 --ws-port=8070 --dev=/dev/ttyACM0

2 Likes

Do you know how/when this was introduced? For example, if already running openHABian 1.8 and then upgrading to 4.0, will the suddenly trigger this? Or was it a package upgrade that caused this to happen some time ago when already running openHABian 1.8?

Maybe I wasn’t too clear above: It is NOT an openHAB issue it is Debian bug where someone introduced a wrong symlink behavior as far as I understand. It seems it was fixed in April but I also have the feeling that this is still the part of the openhaben bullseye version - at least I still have the problem.
See the details linked about it here

So, It isn’t an openHAB issue per se but rather part of the bullseye that comes with openhabian. Maybe someone has an idea how we can update bullseye to a point where we know this is not an issue anymore (I currently don’t have the time to do so and try it out as I am happy that my complex OH4 production setup finally runs almost everything like before).

2 Likes

Jacob, do we want to add it into your great list above? How about adding an index above that description that gives a quick overview on all topics like

• Upgrade to 4.0 using openHABian doesn’t seem to work at all.
  • TransformationService of type ‘JS’ is unavailable
  • ScriptEngine for language ‘application/javascript’ not found
  • Blocky rules not working: PolyglotException: ReferenceError
  • High CPU usage
  • Channel types or config descriptions are missing in the respective registry
  • Rule does not trigger on Astro event
  • Shelly: Incompatible units
  • EnOcean: Handler EnOceanBridgeHandler tried updating the thing status although the handler was already disposed.
  • openJDK17 fails due top dependencies when you are still in Theo Buster Release of Debian or openHABian
  • Deconz Conbee II stick not detected on Debian bullseye

I had this issue with 4.0.0 M1 as soon as I upgraded way back in April first reported here
On several occasions I thought I had tracked it down but it is still a problem for me. (happen yesterday) currently running 4.0.0 snapshot 3460

Sure - done! :slight_smile:

1 Like

In openHABian 1.8 release - #2 by mstormi
was mentioned:

Memory usage
The Java upgrade seems to be using quite some more memory than before and memory reserves are tight particularly if you are on on Raspberry. See corresponding question in the FAQ .

But I couldn’t find the corresponding question here…
BTW: I set

EXTRA_JAVA_OPTS="-XX:+ExitOnOutOfMemoryError -Xms900m -Xmx2500m"

in /etc/default/openhab
And CPU Usage and RAM USAGE looks good in my opinion:

Another work around is to link the equivalent State Channel to a DateTime Item and use the Time is Item trigger for the rule. That works in the UI as well as file based.

Great initiative!

I would suggest to also add this thread to the FAQ:

1 Like

Hi to All,

I’m also facing very high CPU loads. Before Upgrading to 4.0.1 I was running OH3.4.1 without any issues @ average CPU Load ~15-20%.

Running on, Raspberry PI 4, 8GB, Samsung 890 M.2 500GB

BTW: for OH4.0.1 I made a complete new Setup up on a new Harddrive, but I “configured” OH with a Backup.

Can you change the display option in htop to show the thread names?
That makes it easier to figure out what is causing the load.

See:

Hi,

I hope I made it as requested…

1 Like

It could be event handling related based on those thread names.

There have been a few PRs regarding event handling which may have caused performance issues:
#3141, #3299, #3523, #3533, #3702

I was reading the PR’s, but reading does not mean understanding - thats too complex for my simple mind :wink:

Is there a way to check those EventTrigger-Issue for simple “end-users”?

Im running OH with 442 things, 1839 items, 322 rules (all in DSL)… I’ll have a horrible night, thinking of maybe checking everything or maybe updating a massive portion of my configuration…

I also seem to have this issue now (with 4.0.1):

PID USER      PR   NI   VIRT    RES    SHR S  %CPU  %MEM     TIME+ COMMAND
 5147 openhab   20   0  887048 581872   4768 R  98.7  58.5 102:08.36 upnp-main-queue

5 posts were split to a new topic: Blockly issues after OH4 upgrade

6 posts were split to a new topic: Migration on Rocky Linux

Is it necessary to also remove the comment in the line

# initialconfig=/boot/initial.zip

in openhabian.conf?