While playing with a Z-Wave device I have removed and re-added it a couple of times. Now the real node ID is 18, but I keep getting its “phantom”, obsolete, copies as nodes 14 and 17 in my inbox. This happens every time I run thing discovery.
There were issues with the Inbox that have been corrected, but I’ve also had yhis happen on a recent snapshot. It does not look like these nodes are on your controller, so you won’t be able to exclude/remove them. You could try restarting OH and/or clearing the cache, IIRC, mine stopped being discovered after updating to another nightly build, which clears the cache.
I’m facing the same issues that @ncwekjn describes. My only solution was in the end to put up a Domoticz instance and delete the devices using the OpenZWave console there. But that’s very tedious if you have many devices and doesn’t work reliable in all cases.
Upgraded to the latest milestone release (2.4.0~M7-1), cleaned the cache, even removed nodes’ XMLs from /var/lib/openhab2/zwave/, they’re still coming back upon discovery. Removal from the controller action in HABmin still fails:
2018-12-07 11:43:52.228 [ERROR] [message.RemoveFailedNodeMessageClass] - NODE 14: Remove failed node failed as node not found
Will try digging some Windows box to run Zensys on it…
About 2 weeks ago, @chris made a change to the binding that is supposed to fix the issue with deleting ghost nodes. I haven’t tried it out yet. If you’re running a recent version of the binding, you could try using HABmin to delete the ghost node. If you try it, please post your results back here.
Hmm, I was running 2.5.0~S1556-1 when I tried today to remove a device which was failing (and I had to reset). I couldn’t get rid of it with “setting to failed” and “remove from controller”. It always came back into the Inbox when I removed the thing. Updated later today to 1557 and just tried again to “remove from controller”:
This is just one out of some ghost devices I have. My Fibaro wall plugs crash every few months so I have to reset them without being able to unregister anymore so I’m running into that regularly which will over time create some list of orphaned nodes
Hello @mhilbush and @chris ,
I just tried to remove ghost nodes with the new version of the binding. my system is openHAB 2.5.0~S1556-1 (Build #1557). I understand, that ghost nodes are zwave device, which have been physically removed from the zwave network, but remain visible in the controller, even, when they have been deleted. I have several of these…
Unfortunately I was not able to remove the ghost nodes. This might be due to me handling the procedure wrong. i understood, that I need to:
set the node as failed (in the “Show advanced section”)
remove it from the controller (in the “Show advanced section”)
I don’t know the status of the fix, but you can also use Zensys Tools to replace a failed node. This is nice, as you don’t have to change nodes. The process is similar to removing a failed node. From memory… reset your device, send the NOPs, mark the node as failed, then use the Replace Failed option.
I found a solution which is not very comfortable though.
I downloaded a zwave.me image and put in onto a new sdcard. Everytime I need to remove such a device, which is every few weeks thanks to those rotten Fibaro Wall plugs which apparently lose their configuration very regularly, I’m reboot my Raspi to the zwave.me system in which removing the unreachable device is possible somewhere. I always struggle to find the option in the web interface but eventually find it somewhere. Rebooting back into openhab and everything is fine for the next few weeks.