Tibber Binding

I agree if I’m the only one having these problems, this may be locally related. However, out of my 337 things in total, the Tibber live items are the only ‘troublemakers’ right now. Please be ensured that I am very very thankful for your effort and everyone else making OH to what it is today and all the functionalities that it provides.
I’ll be on vacation next week and need the Pulse data to be rock solid feeding my rules during the absence. Therefore I switched to IO Broker and MQTT for acquiring the data. Happy to investigate further after my vacation.

EDIT: in the future it may also help to have some more debug-information to solve situations like this.

Actual status of my configuration:
As far as I can see, everything went well with aquiring data via IO Broker / MQTT for the week of my absence. No interruptions.
I stopped my OH installation last Sunday, deleted tmp / cache directory, switched to the Tibber API binding, deactivated the IO Broker instance and started OH again.

After one week, the results are 5 outages where all outages could have been recovered by automatically restarting the Tibber API thing.

Until now, the “thing-restart-workaround” is still needed for my configuration.

Not directly connected with this binding but maybe of interest for other users:

As the Tibber Pulse is using the optical interface to my energy meter, I had to migrate away from the current DSMR solution to a local Pulse-querying solution.

I came up with https://github.com/cribskip/pulse2mqtt/blob/main/pulse2mqtt.py

After setting the pulse up for the webserver to be always enabled, not just for setup, it is possible to query the data the pulse sends to tibber. This python script polls this data, transforms it and publishes it to a local MQTT broker.

Have fun,
Sascha

1 Like

I keep getting warnings like this every few seconds

2024-04-01 16:01:08.255 [WARN ] [org.openhab.core.thing.binding.BaseThingHandler ] - Handler TibberHandler of thing tibber:tibberapi:tibberAPI tried updating channel live_accumulatedProduction although the handler was already disposed.

and it seems I’m not the only one.

@kjoglums have you seen [tibber] Handler TibberHandler of thing tibber:tibberapi:tibberAPI tried updating channel live_accumulatedProduction although the handler was already disposed · Issue #16560 · openhab/openhab-addons · GitHub ?

@kjoglums Stian sorry for bothering, but did you read this one ?

Hello, I have two points.

1. Is it possible to query the current total monthly costs?

2. from time to time the binding hangs so that no current data is retrieved. After disabling/enabling the bridge, the data is retrieved again.

OH: 4.1.2
Binding: 4.1.2
Persist: InfluxDB + MapDB

at night

2024-05-14 00:10:05.675 [WARN ] [ibber.internal.handler.TibberHandler] - IO Exception: java.util.concurrent.TimeoutException: Total timeout 20000 ms elapsed
2024-05-14 00:28:57.997 [WARN ] [ibber.internal.handler.TibberHandler] - IO Exception: java.util.concurrent.ExecutionException: java.io.EOFException: HttpConnectionOverHTTP@18c12cf1::DecryptedEndPoint@5ee0c315{l=/172.28.10.2:58856,r=api.tibber.com/52.48.54.122:443,OPEN,fill=-,flush=-,to=360038/0}

after disable/enable

2024-05-14 07:01:00.682 [WARN ] [core.thing.internal.ThingManagerImpl] - Initializing handler for thing 'tibber:tibberapi:Tibber' takes more than 5000ms.

Edit:

2 Likes

@kjoglums haven’t read from you since mid of April, I hope you’re alive and well ?

Could you please have a look after the messages in post #285 ? Thank you.

1 Like

since switching to OH4.2 I’ll get timeseries log entries, even though the value of the “current price”-item did not change. Every minute that is. It’s filling up my log, so is it possible to change that in the binding to only log timeseries information, if the value received changed?
see the parallel thread here:

Also using the Tibber binding and got these log messages every minute. I agree it should only update the (forecast) item in case of a changed value. You can reduce the logging however by setting the update interval in the item configuration to a higher value so it will only log at the requested interval. Energy prices get update once a day anyway.

I am very happy actually that the binding supports forecasting now so I can display future values in graphs and make calculations based upon look-ahead energy prices :slight_smile: ! Works great with in memory persistence.

i just filed a feature request/improvement on github:

to add more context:
this was the origin, that I got too many events.log entries:

and then I changed the “refresh interval” to 25 minutes, which led to the behaviour, that all non-live channels refreshed “randomly”, but not “on the hour”:

So my suggestion is to change all the hour-related channels “on the hour” as described in the github-issue.