WallMote Quad (ZW130) sliding does not work

Hi,

I have a new install running openhabian on a RPi4 (2GB)
I have about 30 z-wave devices in it already, and a few rules.

Today, I added an Aeon labs Wallmote Quad (ZW130).

Tapping the 4 buttons work, and I can see the scene number 1.0/1.2/1.1/… in the log when I press/hold/release the buttons. However: when I slide up or down on the surface, the button itself gives me feedback (sound and haptic) but OpenHAB2 is not seeing the event.

I can see the channels “Swipe Switch 1…4” / “Scene number 1…4” but when I connect them to a script, they are never triggered. Also the log does not show any sign of the slide operation being received.

I already tried the examples I saw here:

and I also reviewed the information in the thread “noob-question-about-z-wave-aeotec-wallmote-quad”, but so far I have not been able to get OH2 to register the slide operations.

I have also tried to exclude and re-include the device in my zwave network, but that also did not make a difference.

I would greatly appreciate all the help I could get to debug this.

Thanks & best regards,
Johan

• Platform information:
    • Hardware: Raspberry Pi 4 Model B Rev 1.1
    • openHAB version: 2.5.1-2 (Release Build)

Set up the device in PaperUI as follows:

1 Like

Hi @dastrix80,

thanks for the fast reply, but I am a bit lost on what it is you want me to do? Do I need to change these entries?
I think the screenshot shows all default settings.
I verified and on my system all fields show the same entries.

Best regards,
Johan

Fair enough, if you followed my post and your device is setup as per the screenshot I’m not really sure sorry.

I have exactly the same problem. When I slide there is nothing in the logs. As if no movement is registered by openhab.

The symptoms may be the same but the problem may be different. Please open a new thread to keep troubleshooting from getting muddled.

Ok I can open a new thread but I found this in the aeotec manual:

The WallMote Quad also supports sliding control, when the parameter 4 [1 byte] has been set to 3, you can slide up or down on the button area to control a dimmer device by sliding up or down. Swiping up once will dim up a dimmer device by a certain percentage, while swiping down once will dim down a dimmer device by a certain percentage.

However in the openhab xml this is set on parameter 3 and allowable values are 0 and 1. Could this be the reason?

The symptoms may be the same but the problem may be different. Please open a new thread to keep troubleshooting from getting muddled.

With all due respect, but I disagree.

First of all: AFAIK no troubleshooting was going on anymore on the original question. At least that is the impression I get - and I was somewhat disappointed by that… From my side, this device is still sitting on my desk, I have not installed it because of this.

So, if today somebody else chimes in on this topic, and confirms to see the same, then I don’t feel this is hijacking the thread. Instead, maybe it will give the thread some new attention - or perhaps we could debug it together, exchange experiences.

To be honest, I don’t see how having 2 different threads for the same problem is favorable. Isn’t the intention of the forum to work together if you have the same problem? (or: a problem with the same symptoms?)

1 Like

What version are you running?
I see that device was last updated in March so you should likely try the install script to install a 2.5.2 snapshot version of the binding.

Zigbee and Z-Wave manual install script - Tutorials & Examples - openHAB Community

Thanks for this info. I am currently using

openHAB 2.5.1-2 (Release Build)

I am trying to find if that release is before or after march…

@Yiannis550 in habmin, the “configuration parameters” matches what is listed on the manual, here:

The page shows:

Blockquote
Button slide function
This will enable or disable the function of button slide.
Parameter 3 [1 byte]
0: Disable
1: Enable //Default Setting

I know that if you change this setting into 0, then you no longer get the “beep” (on the button itself) when sliding.

As for parameter 4, it shows:

WallMote Reports
This will allow you to configure what reports are sent when pressing WallMote Quads buttons.
Parameter 4 [1 byte]
1: Send Central Scene Command notification //Default Setting
3: Send Central Scene Command notification and Configuration Report.

Does your manual show something different?

January 12

It’s strange but in the manual online it says that parameter 3 is for slide but further down it says its parameter 4. Nor sure which is correct. I opened a ticket with aeotec support

Check it out

1 Like

Let us know what you find. I had a similar issue with another vendor but I caught it as I was entering the device. They gave me the correct answer which we then used.

Ok, thanks. In that case I should not need to install 2.5.2 snapshot to fix this.

Oh, wow - I missed that, good find!

1 Like

@Yiannis550, I plugged in my Aeotec USB stick in my PC and inspected the messages it sees from the WallMote Quad with the Zensys tool. When swiping, it is indeed sending “CONFIGURATION_REPORT” messages:

This is what I see appear when I swipe button 1 up:

08:03:44.582: Received: 042 - COMMAND_CLASS_CONFIGURATION.CONFIGURATION_REPORT, data: 09 04 01 01 7C B5
08:03:44.854: Received: 042 - COMMAND_CLASS_CONFIGURATION.CONFIGURATION_REPORT, data: 0A 04 01 01 9B B6

This is what I see when I swipe button 1 down:

08:03:47.700: Received: 042 - COMMAND_CLASS_CONFIGURATION.CONFIGURATION_REPORT, data: 09 04 01 00 B8 B7
08:03:47.813: Received: 042 - COMMAND_CLASS_CONFIGURATION.CONFIGURATION_REPORT, data: 0A 04 01 00 8C B8

Swipe Button 2 up:

08:04:54.421: Received: 042 - COMMAND_CLASS_CONFIGURATION.CONFIGURATION_REPORT, data: 09 04 02 01 9A BB
08:04:54.531: Received: 042 - COMMAND_CLASS_CONFIGURATION.CONFIGURATION_REPORT, data: 0A 04 02 01 C3 BC

Slide Button 2 down:

08:05:02.616: Received: 042 - COMMAND_CLASS_CONFIGURATION.CONFIGURATION_REPORT, data: 09 04 02 00 B0 BD
08:05:02.859: Received: 042 - COMMAND_CLASS_CONFIGURATION.CONFIGURATION_REPORT, data: 0A 04 02 00 6C BE

I think I recognize this pattern:

09/0A 04 __/__ __/__ xx xx = start slide, stop slide
__/__ 04 01/02 __/__ xx xx = button 1, button 2
__/__ 04 __/__ 01/00 xx xx = direction up, down

(and 042 happens to be the ZWave device ID)

So, the button is sending these ‘slide’ updates through ‘COMMAND_CLASS_CONFIGURATION.CONFIGURATION_REPORT’

In contrary, button presses are send through ‘COMMAND_CLASS_MULTI_CHANNEL.MULTI_CHANNEL_CMD_ENCAP’, as you can see here:

08:02:34.042: Received: 042 - COMMAND_CLASS_MULTI_CHANNEL.MULTI_CHANNEL_CMD_ENCAP, data: 00 01 5B 03 FA 00 01
08:02:35.000: Received: 042 - COMMAND_CLASS_MULTI_CHANNEL.MULTI_CHANNEL_CMD_ENCAP, data: 00 01 5B 03 FB 00 02
08:02:36.886: Received: 042 - COMMAND_CLASS_MULTI_CHANNEL.MULTI_CHANNEL_CMD_ENCAP, data: 00 01 5B 03 FC 00 03
08:02:37.905: Received: 042 - COMMAND_CLASS_MULTI_CHANNEL.MULTI_CHANNEL_CMD_ENCAP, data: 00 01 5B 03 FD 00 04

This is short-pressing button 1, then 2, then 3 then 4.

… and, to make a long story short: it does confirm that the buttons are indeed sending these messages to the controller. Openhab (or the binding) does not see them or does not know how the read these messages…

1 Like

I have tried this already. Also if you check at the beginning of this post, Johan also tried it. It does not work. I wonder if a previous build was ok and then somehow broke in the latest builds. I have binding 2.5.2 as of yesterday… Or perhaps was an AEOTEC firmware upgrade…
Anyway this code seems to expect from item BedRoom1_AeoButton_Slide2.state to have a change INCREASE or DECREASE. But in the logs I see nothing when sliding.

Indeed, same thing for me: I already tried that, it does not work.