Beginners guide for implementing Eltako FSR14, FSB14, FUD14 via FGW14

Hey @Beasty !

I was actually playing with channel 2 the whole time after I was testing all channels on my FSR. I forgot to change it. That’s probably it indeed! Although I did add the poles to OH as well and didn’t see anything happen there too. I’ll assume it’s just a matter of a missed id indeed.

I can’t test now as I migrated from my toy test board to a “production setup” :slight_smile: and I can’t yet turn on the power.

I’ll confirm later when it’s all powered on :slight_smile: .

Meanwhile I’ll learn how to make proper dashboards in OH!

Thanks for all your help so far!

An FTS14FA? No. Only FAM, FGW14-USB, FTS14EM, and some FSR14s.

Which version of OH are you using? I got this behaviour out of the box after clean install and this doesn’t seem related to an Enocean integration. Will try more later as well when I’m 100% sure of all ids again as right now I’m not sure anymore :slight_smile:

Then maybe we got it :wink:
Anyhow, i strongly recommend a fresh start with your testbench. I twisted these myself alot, which is very frustrating. I tried to match the sender ID and the Enocean ID as good as possible, so i know whats up after a loger time.

One more thing: I heard you need to be extra careful when selecting the channel on the FSR14 while teach-in. Make sure the dial sits in between two “resistances“. Sometimes it looks like you selected channel 2 but you are still on 1 i.e.

Have fun! After all i must say, this system is pretty sweet and flexible :wink:

1 Like

Hi all,

This sounds like a very interesting setup!

My girlfriend and I recently bought a house, which was renovated a few years ago. It’s got Niko impulse switches (almost) everywhere, and Eltako ‘ESR12Z-4DX-UC’ whatchamacallits in the two fuse boxes. Indeed, two, which are also “quite far” from each other apart. But I was thinking of using this trickery to connect the “far away” hypothetical FGW14-USB with my Linux device: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5zA1lU5Tw0.

We also have a few lamps with a switch in the cable (of this variety: BARLAST Staande lamp, zwart/wit, 150 cm - IKEA België), so without a switch in the wall.

I do have a few follow-up questions before I have an electrician come and put FSR14, FAM14 and FGW14-USB in our fuse boxes (instead of the ESR12Z-4DX-UC’s):

1. Is it possible to have two USB-connections (from two FGW14-USB units) and communicate with both fuse boxes (or relay something from one fuse box to the other)? (This makes or breaks the deal, of course…)
  2. Is there an alternative product for these “cord switches” like on some of our lamps, which would make those “smart cord witches”?
  3. Is it possible to have the Eltako FAM14 communicate with such “smart cord switches”?

Thanks in advance for your insight!

Kind regards,

Erik

Hi all,

Things are progressing steadily, I hope to have the correct Eltako units installed in a couple of weeks.

However, this (openHAB 4 migration FAQ) worries me… Or was everything fixed in 4.0.2, and will I be fine with 4.0.4?

All those EnOcean regressions were fixed in the 4.0.x hotfixes, so 4.0.4 should be fine.

You can sideload the EnOcean Binding from the 4.1 Snapshot. I am running on OH 4.0.2 with the 4.1. EnOcean Binding and everything works just fine.

Here you go:

There are several other bugs in 4.0.X related to temp and humidty reading.
The fix for it is available in Snapshot 4.1 which I am using. It’s absolute stable and working as expected.

Reffering to @laursen the 4.1 snapshot version should only work with 4.1 snapshot.
Or maybe only the fix is working in 4.1?

I don’t know whether the 4.1 snapshot version might work with 4.0, it depends on its dependencies. You can always give it a try and revert if it doesn’t work. 4.1 is very close to being released, so you might also just wait for that.

This is from step 2 (‘Preparation for pairing’). I assume (and hope) you mean ‘connect your PC to your FGW14-USB with a mini-USB cable’?

My electrician is coming over next week to install FGW14-USB and FSR14, but no FAM14. I figured that was not a required component, because it’s something wireless…?

The many three letter names confused me, and I didn’t notice ‘FAM14’ was described as a requirement… Is there a way to do it with just the FSR14 and the FGW14-USB?

Hey there,
I am not really an expert but I think, the FAM14 ist mandatory. The FAM14 not only acts as a wireless receiver but it also works as bus-master.
Can anybody confirm this? I am not sure but definitely I got a FAM14 :wink:

Maybe you should have a chat with Eltakos top customer service via Whatsapp. They can help you out.

That’s disappointing :upside_down_face:

But reading up, it looks like FTS14KS as an alternative also works…? Is a bit cheaper, it seems…

Mmm can’t seem to find how to get in touch with them… The Eltako site keeps redirecting me to the Belgian/Dutch site, where nothing WhatsApp related seems to be found…

Would you happen to have a link?

On the german website i can click on the little telephone and there i see a whatsapp contact.
https://www.eltako.com/de/

Anyway, i dont really understand your setup anyway. Why no FAM14? Do you plan to just use OH for switching your lights? No other sensors like these wall mounted EnOcean rockers?!

To be honest, I feel a bit over my head… The current setup is three ESR12Z-4DX-UC units (unfortunately spread over two fuse boxes). Most of the lights in our house are controlled by wall switches, connected via a DC bus with these ESR12Z-4DX-UC units.

My main goal is: I want to be able to control all lights via openHAB.

I figured the best way to do that was to have an electrician replace the ESR12Z-4DX-UC units by FSR14 units, and install one FGW14-USB unit per fusebox.

But I now fear that was not a wise (or at least an incomplete) plan.

Do you have a better suggestion? I would most certainly welcome it! :slight_smile:

Hey,
i am by FAR no electrician and though i can‘t recommend a specific setup. I dont even know, how these ESR12Z-4DX-UC boxes work. Are there wired connection between the switches and these boxes? The „Baureihe 14“ i.e. FSR14, FSB14 and so on are geared to work with wireless switches you can place where ever you want, as long as you stay within radio range to the FAM14. This is the main benefit of this system. But Eltako offers a lot of other stuff, too. I am pretty sure, these FSR14s are not working via a cable-connection to the wallswitch. So your switches would be obsolete and you will have to buy new ones with wireless.

There are other solutions from eltako. You could think about these actuators you can place behind a wired wallswitch.

But for my understanding your goal should be to get a fully self-running Eltako/EnOcean setup and THEN think about OpenHab.

Aha that is shocking news. I saw things too simplistic, it turns out.

Back to the drawing board!

(To be clear, there is a working Eltako system now, but no way (that I know of) to control it via openHAB. I’ve contacted Eltakos WhatsApp service :))

Would it be possible to use a wall switch just to send a signal to openHAB? I’m thinking of replacing the function of one of the switches to a movement sensor, leaving the switch without a goal. Maybe I could use it to trigger a (TBD) rule?

But maybe that’s something no-one here knows? :slight_smile:

Yes, this is absolutely possible and I have this running multiple times. It is a very nice way to connect your Eltakos to other smarthome devices.

I.e. I have an EnOcean wallswitch which is not teached into any Eltako aktuator. But it triggers a rule in OH which then opens the GarageDoor which is controlled via KNX.

All you have to do is add a new thing - EnOcean - Rocker Switch. Type in the EnOcean ID (you see it on the back of the switch), select your bridge and you are good to go