BTicino Smarther thermostat binding

Hello community,

Is anyone out there already working on a binding for BTicino Smarther Chronothermostat ?

I’m interested in contributing to existing projects or start building a new one. Searching in the community and on the Internet, it seems noone is actually working on that…

I’ve posted some personal progress here and saw the excellent work here from @massi.

Unfortunately, Smarther has its own set of API, maintained by Legrand - which currently offer no support for OWN protocol.

Any feedback is appreciated :slight_smile:

Cheers,
Fabio

Hi @Mr_Ronfo,
what is your plan to use Smarther from openHAB?
It should be already possible to control from mobile apps (remotely) and to integrate it with Google Assistant and/or Alexa.

So what would be in your case the benefit of connecting the chronothermostat to openHAB ?

Hi @Mr_Ronfo are you still planning to work on a Smarther binding for OH2 ?

Hi @massi, sorry for the late reply here.
Yes still interested and started a first rough work on that, at least as POC to see if I have all the needed bits available (binding side KB I mean).

On your first reply: as many other devices, Smarther proprietary app and GA/Alexa skills are not so flexible when used standalone.
I’d like to integrate it in OH in order to have one single interface for home automation (personal goal), as well as to enable custom scenarios (e.g. window open > turn off heat, etc.).

Cheers,
Fabio

Hi @massi, in my spare time I’ve finally managed to create a Smarther OH2 binding :slight_smile:

Currently I have it in local test (for some weeks now) and it seems pretty stable to me.
I’ve followed all the steps in OH2 documentation, included static code analysis, and now I’d like to start submitting the binding to the community for peer review and approval.

I saw, in other posts, you already submitted a binding and it would be great if you could guide me in the basic steps…

Thanks,

Hi there, after few months of internal testing and running on my production env, I’ve finally decided to submit a PR for my Smarther binding!

Waiting for it to be reviewed and (hopefully) approved by OH Maintainers :crossed_fingers: , here it is:

I’ve read that PRs usually take some time to get reviewed. So, I’ve also pushed the binding to the Eclipse IoT MarketPlace to make it available faster to the Community.
Here it is: https://marketplace.eclipse.org/content/bticino-smarther-binding

Cheers,

Can’t wait! :slight_smile:

Hi @fenderislife, I’ve integrated the above with the link to Eclipse IoT Marketplace :wink:

Cheers,

Binding in Eclipse IoT MarketPlace has been updated to OH v.2.5.6 - some bugs fixed.
Same link: https://marketplace.eclipse.org/content/bticino-smarther-binding

Binding in Eclipse IoT MarketPlace has been refactored and updated to OH v.2.5.7.
Same link: https://marketplace.eclipse.org/content/bticino-smarther-binding

Hi Fabio,
thanks a lot for your kind contribution, I was looking for this integration since a while.
I was able to setup it quickly, unfortunately it seems auto-discovery is able to find juts one of the two thermostats I have at home, any suggestion?

Thanks in advance

Hi @Tgl, altough I have had no chance to test the binding thoroughly with more thermostats, I’m curious about your test case and happy to help :slight_smile:

Some initial troubleshooting is needed:

• are yours configured under the same Plant Id ?
  • could you please share (personal message, if you prefer) your topology and the binding logs, preferrably from startup to the autodiscovery fault (at least everything which falls under “bticinosmarther” category) ?

Cheers,

hello @Mr_Ronfo thanks a lot for the Smarther binding.
The setup was simple and straightforward thanks to the detailed documentation, but since i had some problems setting up correctly C2C notifications, i’d like to post here some informations that could be useful to other beginners like me, and could be added to the documentation.

the url that gets subscribed to C2C notifications is

https://[publicIP]/bticinosmarther/notifysmarther

and it is apparently the only address that has to be reachable from public internet.

my openhab installation is behind a nginx reverse proxy, and this is what i did to get C2C status push notifications:

• Registered client application using this ‘first reply URL’:
    https://[publicIP]/bticinosmarther/connectsmarther
  • Completed the authorization process using the same URL (step 11 of bridge configuration)
    It is not a problem if this URL is behind nginx authorization, it works correctly and it successfully refreshes the token every hour

• Added this location to nginx sites-enabled configuration:

location /bticinosmarther/notifysmarther {
     proxy_pass http://localhost:8080/bticinosmarther/notifysmarther;
     auth_basic off;
  }

i’m not sure about potential security issues with this setup, but i hope this could be helpful for anyone else having problems with C2C notifications.
If this is not a good practice, please let me know.

1 Like

I follow all the instructions but I can’t discover my thermostat. Checking the API on the Legrand portal I found that I can use the Myhome_up API but the Smarter v2.0 API always gives me a 401 Unauthorized error. Digging a bit it seems that I need to give third party access to the, but where and how can I do this. Sorry candid question but I am very new in this subject.
Thanks!

Hi @gautier, have you already checked the openhab logs ?
Noted any issue/error and could you please post here the ones referring to smarther ?
Thanks

I am trying to control 2 Chronothermostats using OpenHAB3 and the bticinosmarther addon. I can create Bticino Bridge and discover automatically one of the 2 chronothermostats, but I cannot connect to none of them. I get an error:

2021-05-12 19:35:05.272 [WARN ] [ternal.handler.SmartherModuleHandler] - Module[bticinosmarther:module:BT_App2:1940af83c8] API Gateway error during polling: Gateway Offline

I have subscripted to Smarther API and created the application. I have followed exactly the steps provided in the addon documentation (see bticinosmarther ). I am not sure if this issue is related with OpenHAB or with Smarther or with the binding.

I have tried using the Smarther v2 API via Legrand’s site and it works just fine.

Any feedback would be really helpful.

Edit: I am currently not in the same house/network with the Chronothermostats. I don’t know if this could have anything to do with my problem.