I have been researching different smoke detectors usable with OH. This thread is meant to collect the information I have been digging out, and hopefully for some of you to share your experiences.
First off, here are some threads that cover the same topic:
Ideally, I would want smoke detectors that work as stand-alone, interlinked and with OH integration. In other words:
- each sensor should sound when it detects smoke
- should signal other sensors to sound as well
- separate OH notifications for separate sensors
- of course it should work even if OH is not running (both sounding locally and interlinking)
- would be a plus if it could be found as battery-operated or mains with battery backup
- battery operated sensors should report battery level to OH
Unfortunately, that seems like a tall order. I found that Cavius has a nice line-up, covering it all except OH integration, see https://www.cavius.com/. They even have a “hub” (https://www.cavius.com/cavius-hub/) that allows use with a cloud service and app, but I asked them if there was an API for integration with home automation systems, and the answer was unfortunately that that was not currently available.
I looked into the Nest Protect, which have a great feature set, etc., but as others I prefer a system that does not require a cloud service, and especially now that the Nest API seems to be closed and OH integration probably will suffer.
I also looked into ZigBee smoke sensors. I use deconz with a ConBeeII for ZigBee. These are the ones listed on deconz supported device page (https://github.com/dresden-elektronik/deconz-rest-plugin/wiki/Supported-Devices#supported-sensors):
- Bitron 902010/24
- Develco SMSZB-120
- Heiman HS1SA-M
- Xiaomi Mi (Honeywell) smoke sensor
If anyone has specific recommendations, warnings or reviews of these, please share!
Otherwise, as others have noted, it seems Z-wave is somewhat more widely used for smoke detectors. Here is what I have gathered from various posts (mainly on this forum).
Can be sounded remotely, but battery only lasts 3-6 months. Could possibly be used with power supply.
Local alarm function uses non-replacable 10 year battery. Separate battery for Z-wave function. Can be sounded remotely.
If someone has experience regarding how long the Z-wave battery lasts, please share.
Also sold as:
- Ei Electronics Ei600ZW https://products.z-wavealliance.org/products/1719
- Z-wave. Me Ei600ZW https://products.z-wavealliance.org/products/1550
First Alert Zcombo
Both smoke and carbon monoxide detector, Z-wave reporting does not distinguish between different alarm types or test. Not available in EU.
Several posts regarding false alarms, although it is not clear if this problem has been solved in the 2nd generation.
Seems to be fairly popular, and a nice small size. Haven’t seen anyone saying to avoid it. It appears to be marketed under various other brand names:
- HEIMAN HS1SA-Z https://products.z-wavealliance.org/products/3006 https://products.z-wavealliance.org/products/1936
- CLEVERIO https://products.z-wavealliance.org/products/3365
- ABUS SHRM10000 https://products.z-wavealliance.org/products/3089
- Zipato hm-hs1sa-z.eu https://products.z-wavealliance.org/products/2710
Others found in Z-wave alliance database
Haven’t seen much about these:
- Zipato ph-psg01.eu https://products.z-wavealliance.org/products/2430
- Vision ZS610EU https://products.z-wavealliance.org/products/860
- Vision ZS6102EU-5 https://products.z-wavealliance.org/products/1084
- Devolo MT-2651 https://products.z-wavealliance.org/products/2230
- Vision ZS6101EU-5 https://products.z-wavealliance.org/products/1064
- Fireangel ZHT-630 https://products.z-wavealliance.org/products/2631 (plug-in module for Fireangle ST-630, seems quite expensive)
- siterwell GS559B https://products.z-wavealliance.org/products/2599
- D-link DCH-Z310 https://products.z-wavealliance.org/products/1261
- Philio PSG01 https://products.z-wavealliance.org/products/1167
- Everspring SF812 https://products.z-wavealliance.org/products/272
- Climax Technology SD-8ZW https://products.z-wavealliance.org/products/1428
This one seems to have a very nice feature set (Both smoke and CO, voice prompts, 10-year battery time using 3 lithium CR123A, mains-power option). Unfortunately I have not been able to find anywhere it can be acquired: Climax Technology SDCO-1 https://products.z-wavealliance.org/products/3670
Carbon monoxide sensors
- HEIMAN HS1CA-Z https://products.z-wavealliance.org/products/3174 https://products.z-wavealliance.org/products/1940
- Zipato hm-hs1ca-z.eu https://products.z-wavealliance.org/products/2699
- HEIMAN HM-723ESY-Z https://products.z-wavealliance.org/products/3165
- Climax Technology SDCO-1 https://products.z-wavealliance.org/products/3724
- Philio PSG04 https://products.z-wavealliance.org/products/3672
- Fibaro FGCD-001 https://products.z-wavealliance.org/products/3000 https://products.z-wavealliance.org/products/2336
- siterwell GS816B https://products.z-wavealliance.org/products/2593
- Vision ZS6301EU-5 https://products.z-wavealliance.org/products/1328